When is cold too cold?

Im from LA, CA- we usually keep babies warm out there. It's what I've always seen in my family and well the community pretty much. I'm in GA now and all everyone keeps telling me is to have the baby's room cold because its "good for them" and "helps them breathe better", not to cover her up except for a sheet or a thin blanket because she'll be more prone to get sick when she's warm. Its getting a bit confusing I dont want her to be cold- the way i was taught cold=sick for babies. Warm or Cold?

_mommy2b08_

Asked by _mommy2b08_ at 2:36 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've always been told it's healthiest for babies to sleep in temps no higher than 70. As far as how warm or cold, guage by your own comfort level. If it's a bit chilly at night and you feel like you need a heavier blanket, put baby in a blanket sleeper. Babies are not as good at regulating their own temps yet so just be mindful of her temperature (hands freezing, throw on some baby mits, feet cold, put on socks, skin's warm, put lighter clothing on, etc).
    Abilyn

Answer by Abilyn at 2:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i live in GA we put there night clothes on have the heater on about 75 and leave it at that..the night clothes tho are the feety ones which are warm..you just dont want them getting too hot then cold that = a cold...
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 2:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• yeah i agree with mama above... you dont want them to sweat, but i think you naturally know if your baby is going to get too cold. make sure her feet and hands arent freezing and she has a light blanket and some warm pjs on...
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I always have her in sleepers at night, but this house stays at a constant 69 degrees (i live w/the baby's great-grandparents). I know I freeze to death, but g-gma keeps telling me that its good temp. for the baby's lungs and such and tells me I'm worrying too much when I put socks on her before i put her sleeper on and have mitts on her too because her hands are cold
    _mommy2b08_

Answer by _mommy2b08_ at 2:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• well if its that cold then keep putting socks and mittens on her.... keep her cozy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Did you know that most of the time kids can't tell when they're cold? I forgot where I read it but its something to do with their bodies not recognizing it and so they don't feel cold when their bodies actually are. I don't know what age it goes up to but I think its even when they're like 6 or even 10.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 2:50 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• 30 degrees!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• when u see snow!
    Anonymous

• I heard somewhere that actually keeping a baby too warm puts them at an increased risk for SIDs. I think keeping the heat on at night where you are (I am in SC btw, the weather is similar) at about 70 with a sleeper with feet and a blanket on top, a receiving blanket is plenty.
    I have a 1 yo and sometimes I put a onsie on and then some warm pajamas because she moves so much and never stays under a blanket at all.
    About the SIDS connection with heat:
    http://infant-toddler-health.suite101.com/article.cfm/how_to_dress_baby_to_reduce_the_risk_of_sids
    upintrees

Answer by upintrees at 4:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I live in GA too and our nights are chilly in the NW part. We don't change our thermostat at night, but its set on 70 and sometimes when it kicks off, it might drop down to 68-69 ish. My kids are older so they can cover or uncover at their own will, but the 2 yr old refuses to sleep with clothes on. I think, gosh, he must be cold, but when I pull him out from the covers, hes toasty warm. Hes hot blooded I guess. I think the colder air helps them breathe better because when its warmer, it dries them out. I notice a lot of stuffy noses in the mornings when the house is warmer. Just put the baby in the blanket sleepers and cover them up!
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2008