• In the Spotlight:

does a landlord have to report to new tenants a prior case to a major disease in the house?

KelsoBabeyy

Asked by KelsoBabeyy at 3:39 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Just for Fun

• they are expose to from my agnoliage?sp...but the lady who raised me had staffinfection and it came from her house. come to find out the lady who lived there before had it.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 3:41 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i know i kinda keep asking the same question, but ANY ideas of how i can find something online stating they have to by law report that to the new tenants??
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:45 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• on the other post. i listed a few websites one is on the laws.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 3:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i didnt find anything on if they ahve to report it to the current/upcoming tenants though..
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i would call...either...800-cdc-info(888-232-4636
    or
    tty:888-232-6348

its 24/7
    web
    site http://www.cdc.gov/
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 4:20 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I sincerely doubt it as most diseases are contracted by human touch, bodily fluids etc, particles in the air. Various bacteria cannot live on surfaces for too long without dying out and if the place is cleaned before a tenant moves in, then the risk for a new tenant contracting a disease is nonexistent.
    Now if you are talking about mold that's a different story.
    But if you are concerned, research your landlord/tenant law for your state. I checked mine and there is nothing of the sort in there. I also checked it for the previous state I moved in.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If TB is the infection you are concerned about, then no its not covered under the law. TB can't survive on hard surfaces, and generally only sticks around in the air for a few hours. Its generally spread through prolonged contact with someone who has latent or active TB. You aren't at risk, and your land lord is not liable.
    katzmeow726

Answer by katzmeow726 at 7:28 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Call your local Health Dept they can tell you right away.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 9:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I very seriously doubt it. Patient privacy laws don't allow any medical professional to give out any info on a person's illness except to those specified, therefore the landlord would have to be informed by the person themselves or someone living with them in order to inform the new tenant. So, the first step (if you're asking b/c this happened to you) would be to even prove that the landlord had knowledge of it. And I can't say for others, but I never informed my landlords of anything that went on in my house. With that said, TB generally cannot be transmitted through household surfaces, unless the person with TB is actively living in the home at the time, and even then, would have to be coughing, sneezing, etc. all over the surfaces quite frequently.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i actually found out that you have to legally by law report an base of TB if you are living in an apt or work at a business school etc. so ill probably find out if the person reported it to the apts and if they did the apts by law should have told us about it because it can and DOES live on hard surfaces. it keeps itself in a shell and can life vor weeks and weeks without even living on a person. it livves in bedding vents, carpets, cloth etc.... so ill just go forward from there thanks for everyones help.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 1:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2008