My 13 yr old still believes in the Easter Bunny. wtd? adult content

My 13 yr old son (Asperger's) still believes in the Easter Bunny. (Yes, really)

I'm trying to figure out if I should tell him the truth and when. I thought I might just tell him the Easter Bunny only visits little kids and not teenagers and this was his last year. (of course I would still buy him candy) However, I'm not sure if this is a good idea either.

Waiting for him to figure it out eventually isn't gonna work. He usually never figures stuff like this out on his own. He still believes in Santa and the toothfairy too. If I don't do anything I can see him still believing in this stuff at 18 and that has me really concerned.

Does anyone have any advice or has delt with anything like this and can tell me about it?

Thanks

Anonymous5

Asked by Anonymous5 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Your idea of telling him it is just for little kids is a good one, go for it.

Answer by older at 10:24 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My son has Asperger's as well but he is only 6. I plan to cross that bridge with information. My son eats up rules and information. I will tell him about how it is a tradition for parents to let their kids believe it is real until they are old enough to help with the fun for littler kids. Like he is old enough to know the secret and the rule is he has to keep it a secret from other kids. We will talk about how the tradition started and how it is for fun only.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:26 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Okay, maybe this is not really a solution to the problem but could make it less "drastic" for him. Maybe leave him a note FROM the Easter Bunny saying now that he's a teenager it's time the Easter Bunny stops visiting him because he has more and more babies are being born that he has to take care of. This of course doesn't solve the problem of him thinking it's real...but would give him a reason as to why the bunny won't come anymore - you could mention that now it's up to mom and dad.

I don't know. Could be a totally crappy idea, because it doesn't let him know these things aren't real but maybe after he accepts that the Easter Bunny only comes to little kids you could ease into the idea that there really isn't one after all, rather than completely ruining his Easter for him on the big day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:35 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• i like but mommie's idea....i also have a ds with aspergers (9) and have been thinking about this more and more because the girls (13,15) stop believing this stuff around the age 10 so its coming up soon.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Why can't you let him continue to believe? Let him hold on to being a child. Why do you HAVE to end it?

Because with a child with Asperger's you are already deal with major social delays. They do not have the ability to strike up a friends ship every other day. The best way to help them it to teach them what is and is not socially acceptable. At some point IMPO you have to decide. Is it socially acceptable for my child of __ age to believe this. If the answer is not then it needs to be corrected. Witadvantage for them to h the already difficult time these kids face making and keeping friendships it would be a disservice to them to allow. Just one more thing to cause teasing. One more thing to hinder their ability to socialize at age level. Sometimes it is a really hard call but as their parents we have to decide the best ways to help them learn to be social and help remove the obstacles.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• If his peers find out he still beleives in that stuff he could be teased royaly. I think you owe it to him to clue him in about these things. Tell him that grown ups tell little kids these stories because it's fun and part of childhood in our culture. Just because he knows the easter bunny isn't real doesn't mean he cant enjoy Easter. My soon to be 18 year olds still get chocolate eggs.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Sounds like my 13 yr old. (he also has Aspergers) His 11 yr old brother says he still believes too but that one I wonder on. I'm still letting them believe until they say they don't or ask questions.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• What is wrong with just letting him continue to believe? Nothing wrong with it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Do you know anyone with younger kids? Maybe next year you could "let him in on the secret" and have him help play Easter Bunny for the little ones, so the knowledge is replaced with a privilege and a new sort of excitement. Also, maybe a good way to break the news would be to have him research the holiday with you, look at the Pagan roots and how the rabbit and the egg became symbols of the holiday, and help him arrive at the logical conclusion that the easter bunny isn't real.

How have you approached other things, like the Tooth Fairy and Santa?
    Its.Me.T.

Answer by Its.Me.T. at 3:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Let him continue to believe.
    heathermichelle

Answer by heathermichelle at 4:59 AM on May. 14, 2011