Is it bad for baby to have room temperature water mixed with formula?

Do you have to heat it up? I know not to use cold water out of the fridge but I keep bottled water by my nightstand with the formula so I can just pour it in and feed. Is this bad because sometimes it is chilly at night and so the water is kind of cold but not refrigerator cold... If its bad I will get my lazy ass up to the microwave but I was just wondering.

madrigalreject

Asked by madrigalreject at 3:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it doesnt matter what the temp in te out come is. as long as its not so hot it burns. It the babies prefence, mine has to have it warm. thats how he likes it because i breastfed for 5 months. But my mom gave her 4 kids cold formula, we accepted it.
    cloud144

Answer by cloud144 at 3:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• your really not expose to micowave formula...we always used tap water..it also depends do you get powder or liquid. formula..cuz if it is the liquid it can not be open all night w.o the frigerator?sp.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 3:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I keep gallons of Nursery Water w/flouride by the changing table that I seem to use as a storage space ^^; it gets pretty chilly in here but my baby does just fine w/it. If you're that worried about it you can try a baby bottle warmer
    _mommy2b08_

Answer by _mommy2b08_ at 3:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I of course heat up the water then mix the powder after I take it out of the microwave. I know not to microwave the formula itself... I just didn't know if cold water slowed their digestive system or made it harder for them to digest, etc...
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 3:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• avent makes a bottle warmer u plug it in mix ur formula put it in and the bottle is ready in about 2 mins. I always used bottled water with the powered formula so i had everything I needed on my nightstand.
    momangel05

Answer by momangel05 at 3:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• no cool water is ok..sometimes i have the boys cold formula in the summer...its fine
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 3:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Do NOT use the microwave. I asked my doctor why and he said that some parts of the milk can get very hot and burn the babys mouth. I suggest investing in a bottle warmer. I have one on my nightstand. Or get a container of hot water and setting the bottle in it to warm up. Before I got my bottle warmer that's how I warmed my refrigerated breastmilk.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:25 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I guess I don't understand how putting 6 ounces of water in the microwave for 20 seconds and then shaking it with powdered formula could even have hot spots. The water is only warm if heated for only 20 seconds, and when you shake it up, you'd think that it would mix the temperature evenly... If you mix a cup of hot water with a cup of cold water, you get warm water... It's just science...
    madrigalreject

Answer by madrigalreject at 4:30 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• with the powder it holds heat..like otmeal it gets hot spots in it...or say a froze mac & cheese sometimes some of it stays frozen and the rest is really hot you think stiring it would help nope still cold spots...same with heat there can be hot spots.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 4:33 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I put the bottle in a kettle with water in it and warm it up that way. I use cold water from the refrigerator's built in water thingy. If I make it too hot, I can always pour some out and add some cooler water, then add the formula. Nursery water sitting out at room temp. is a good idea too. This all of course is how your baby likes it. I don't think there is anything wrong with what you are doing either. As long as it's not too hot, it's fine.
    lilmomma4

Answer by lilmomma4 at 4:38 AM on Dec. 3, 2008