Breastfeeding

Im currently breast feeding my 81/2 month old daughter . well pumping and giving it to her out of the bottle .. but i just found out i have high cholestrol so i have to go on a diet and i would really like to lose some weight anyway so i was thinking about stopping the nursing. what would be the best milk to put her on other than formula because we really dont want to go that route since she has never had it.. or do i just need to keep pumping until she is a year? HelP!

MzDrinkkard

Asked by MzDrinkkard at 10:38 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why are you pumping? Your diet should have no effect on breast feeding. If I were you I would just breast feed .
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:42 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You Dr should be able to give a breast friendly diet to use. Unlike in pregnancy your milk is not dependant on your diet to create the correct amounts of fats and such for your baby. I would talk to your dr about you options at this stage is really is your choice as what is best for you & your baby,
    Graciesmom528

Answer by Graciesmom528 at 10:45 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• i pump because she wouldnt latch on as a newborn so the doctor told me the easiest way to get her the milk would be through a bottle and its much easier on me since i have 2 older kids. i have to pump every 3 hours because i will only get 5 oz at themost combined so im afraid if i change my diet at all ill lose what little milk supply i have . i wasnt able to bf either of my other kids bc i didnt produce milk at all ..
    MzDrinkkard

Comment by MzDrinkkard (original poster) at 10:46 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Changing your diet should not effect your milk supply. Usually the only time diet is a factor is if mom is literally starving. You really only have two choices: keep pumping until 12 months or give formula.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I say keep pumping, and see how it goes. Nothing says you HAVE to stop if you're trying to lose weight. I'd give it a go if you can, you know? Be sure not to drop your calories below 1200-1500 a day, or it CAN affect the amount of milk you make (not so much the quality). Eliminating red meat, egg yolks, cheese, and other high cholesterol animal products will make a huge difference. Cholesterol isn't present in plant products, so keep that in mind. Have you ever heard or eating clean, or the DASH diet? They're both good options for you, and they'll keep you full. Good luck with the weight loss!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:16 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You are almost there mommy!! Just pump till she's 1, just eat healthy. Don't even bother to find the right formula.
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• thanks everyone yall really are making the decison so much easier on me.. my doctor said to up my calories but with healthier fruits and veggies and make sure i consume more water .. so maybe this wont be such a hard task after all thanks so much everyone :)
    MzDrinkkard

Comment by MzDrinkkard (original poster) at 11:41 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Keep pumping till a year...you can do it! Not much longer!!!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 11:56 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I would def keep pumping !
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 2:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• keep pumping! and u can join the EP group on here! they r great! i EP for 14 months for my dd!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 3:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2011