Can HE answer questions about his own kids?

I know as Moms it is our "job" to know all the facts about our kids but can their Dad answer the same kind of questions correctly?

Does he know:
what their favorite color is?
What their favorite toy is?
Who their favorite cartoon character is?
If they are a lefty or a righty?
Their favorite book?
Their favorite toy?
Their eye color?

How about something harder:

What they are wearing today?
What size shoes they wear?
What size clothes they wear?
What blankets are on their bed and what character is on them (if any)?
Their height?
Their weight?
What their due date WAS supposed to be?

My kid's Dad failed pretty bad when he was asked these questions in a parenting class we both attended. Our oldest is 5 and answered most of these questions herself (with the exception of height, weight, shoe size and due date).

Would it bug you if the Father of your kids couldn't answer or couldn't correctly answer most of these questions?

zoejains_momma

Asked by zoejains_momma at 11:49 AM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• My husband probably would only know their eye color. I don't know all those favorites because my kids' likes change constantly. I don't keep up with their new trends. I probably couldn't tell you what they are wearing either. 2 of my kids aren't even here. They took off to spend the night at friends houses. I also don't know what sheets they have on their beds. They take care of that stuff and I don't go in their rooms (too messy).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:54 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• No, it wouldn't bug me.
    While my DH knows most of the stuff, he doesn' t know it all. Heck, half the time I need to look in their shoes to see what size they wear. He knows how to comfort them when they are upset. He knows how to make them laugh and smile. He knows how to be stern and give them boundaries. He knows how to play with them and he knows how to get them to settle. THOSE are the important things in being a dad,
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I'm happy to say that my husband knows most of the info!! He doesn't know the shoe sizes but our kids grow so fast I have a hard time keeping up with that too!! lol As for the due dates.....he knows the birthdays so that's more important IMO =)
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 11:55 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My husband always use to get their birthdays wrong and their age, not to mention he would never answer any one of those question, but you know what?the fact that I knew all the answers to those questions always gave an edge that paid off after on when they became adults, and even as children, they knew who was there 24/7 for everything. I never let it bother me I just corrected him and filled him in all the time.

Answer by older at 11:53 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• my husband can answer MOST of them, minus the shoe size an a couple others.. .
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:54 AM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My husband answer most of them. He doesn't know their birthdays but, he knows how old they are. My dad even put all of our b-days wrong when he filed for divorce with my mom.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I CAN NOT tell you my kids height or weight. It's just not something I take mental note of, so I doubt my husband will be able to answer those questions. I do know their clothing size because I do all the shopping, but always fail to remember what their shoe sizes are. I have to look at their shoes to know. My kids are always in PJS when hubby leaves for work so he wouldn't see their clothing until they got home. I can't tell you what the kids are wearing, unless we go out. Then I make a mental note of what they are wearing and so does he. However around the house we don't pay attention to those things. (unless it's something we don't want them to wear). Does that make us "bad" parents.-No it does not and really I don't get petty like that with my husband it's not worth it!
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• The only ones that bug me are their birthdays, eye color and weight. the basic info you need to file a police report
    zoejains_momma

Comment by zoejains_momma (original poster) at 12:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• my DH cant answer all of them correctly. he gets some of the basics but misses the harder ones.
    4my1stborn

Answer by 4my1stborn at 1:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think fathers sometimes answer the more difficult questions. Like how much money per month does it take to feed a family of five? After child support to my first child, what is left over to feed my current family? How do I keep my wife happy so that she can take the time and energy it needs to know the answers to these questions? How much is college going to cost for my three kids and how do I start putting money away now to prepare for this? How do I write my will so that my wife is provided for if I die? How do I keep my boss happy at work so that I will be able to always provide for my family? How do I climb the corporate ladder so that my family can have the things I never had? These seem to be the questions that preoccupy men, not what is their kid's favorite color, etc. Life questions, not trivia.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 7:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2011