AT WHAT AGE SHOULD YOU START SPANKING YOUR CHILD

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• When they are old enough to understand...I think its different for every child.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I say never, but thats my opinion.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 4:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• when i tell them no three times and they laugh smile at me and do it any ways a pop on the hand
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 4:24 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I don't plan on swatting my son until he's old enough to understand WHY mommy did that. I don't want him to be afraid of me.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 4:57 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• never, and cps will tell you the same thing
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Never, is not a good time. I started at 2 with my girl and 3 with my boy. I started earlier on my girl because she understood sooner then my boy. My kids are far from scared of me and they mind better then most kids. As far as CPS (DHS here), I have spnaked my child in their office. All that happened to me is that I got a nod of thanks for getting my kids to calm down. Theres a HUGE differance between spanking and beating. A swat or two on the hind parts is NOT beating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I feel I'm a better person cuz I got the crap beat outta me when I deserved it
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 8:06 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• laughingDITTO!

momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 8:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Not never- but sparingly when they can understand it. I spanked my ds twice when he was little -not counting swat on the had for reaching for dangerous things- anyway once when he tried to run in the road when I let go of his hand to open the car door and one when he took off his seat belt while I was driving. He is 15 and still remembers exactly why mommy spanked him. I was spanked every time I disobeyed a rule, order or unrealized expectation and cannot honestly tell you why, we were afraid of our parents and behaved out of fear and nothing else!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:27 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I firmly believe that spanking makes the parent feel better (sometimes) but does not correct the behavior of the child. There are so many ways to handle an accident, a lie, a misdeed, a tantrum, ect...that really spanking, to me, is so archaic and for parents who do not know of an alternative. But when I saw parents who asked for advice on spanking I would give them the literature that explains the ramifications of spanking - the cons if you will. Then I would offer other suggestions and role model. If a parent really felt there was no other way and that spanking was the only thing that worked (I would often ask politely that if it worked do you think you need services?) then never use anything other than your hand, always on the bottom, and never when you are yelling or angry. I can't really condone an age per se, but I would NEVER recomend to spank a toddler.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:23 AM on Dec. 3, 2008