Am I depriving my kids of happiness? (Diet-related)

To give you some background: I have obesity, diabetes, and heart disease in my family. So, I have to keep the food healthy around my house for our health.

But, I am noticing that other people think I am depriving my kids during the holidays (food-wise). The only thing I limit is the sugar. So, for Halloween, we trick or treat. I allow them to keep about 10 of their favorite candies and eat them whenever they choose, but we take the rest to a dentist "buy-back", and then the kids buy a toy with their money. For easter, I don't fill the eggs with candy, but I do put animal crackers and stickers inside. They are toddler-preschool age.

We don't keep processed sweets in the house, but we do make birthday cake on birthdays. I don't limit them at parties.

I also only allow 1 cup of juice a day, per doctor's orders. Other than that, they can have as much as anything else that they want.

I get some comments from family and friends that I am not "letting" the kids have their holidays. It makes me feel bad, but I don't want my kids to think that holidays are all about sugar . . they are about family and enjoying each other.

What do you guys think? Honestly . . .am I being too restrictive?

ImaginationMama

Asked by ImaginationMama at 12:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You are doing a really good job and you should be applauded! Food is for nutrition. People seem to think eating is only for pleasure. Eating is to nourish your body . Making healthy chices is being a good parent. They need to emulate your choices. WHen kids eat sugary cereal and PopTarts and candy and cookies all the time, they will develop some diseases later in life. They say that youngsters are already showing signs of high cholsterol and heart disease. I can see why----McDonalds for dinner ...etc.
    You are not depriving your kids!
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 12:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think your doing just fine.
    sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 12:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• no your raising your kids to make healthy choices in life.....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• It doesn't sound that way to me... I mean do you occasionally do fun things like bake with them out side of holidays? Even if it's an apple pie? DO you drill into them that when at another child's house and offers a cookie to refuse it? Do they complain? Is they get some sorbet once in a while? From what I read I would guess they do and that sounds great to me. It your kids. Tell them to leave you be.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• No, I think you are doing it right!

Answer by older at 12:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I do the same thing. I took all the candy out of the eggs and put in little toys or hair bows. I don't allow much sugar because the kids have weak teeth (from their father's side) and we have already had issues with their teeth because of sugar and juice.
    Anonymous

• I am like you! You are doing it right, those that insist kids need sugar and juice and candy every day (or at every meal, yikes) are the ones doing it wrong.

I grew up in a household where we had only homemade food, salad with dinner every night, lots of fruit and veggies, no soda, no juice, no junk. We were allowed to go trick or treating but my parents took all the candy from us once we got home. We did have desserts occassionally (birthdays and holidays) but it was not an everyday occurrence.

I'm raising my kids the same way. They have always loved vegetables and healthy food because it's all they've ever known. I used to have to chase my oldest in the grocery store because he'd run for the string beans and try to devour them (he called them green french fries). My 11 year old has yet to even try a soda. Good for you!
    Anonymous

• Your family would think I'm especially cruel because I don't allow my kids to drink juice. If they want something fruity, it's a crazy concept but I make them eat fruit. It sounds like you're doing a great job. Kids don't need junk on a daily basis. Holidays aren't about eating crappy foods anyway. I limit what my kids get but like you they get little treats here and there, mostly at Grandma's house.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• No, you're giving them a good healthy start to life. Many people think that I'm depriving my kids because I've convinced them that fast food (i.e. happy meals) are gross. They won't touch it. Why does junk food have to be equated w/ happiness? I'm like you, they get to pick out a little bit of candy on special occasions - but mostly we focus on family experiences together and happiness in doing fun things. When they're older they won't have a taste for all that junk and they won't go for it.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 2:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You're absolutely doing the right thing!! Holidays are about more than fattening food- there are traditions and celebrations that are more important than that. I have a similar family history, and I'm much like you. My son is only 2, but when my mom fed him McDonalds, he was vomiting afterward. Processed foods are not what the body is designed to run on, and they're a major cause for the sharp increase in obesity, heart disease, diabetes, etc. Health is SO much more important than gobs of junk food, and you should NOT be made to feel ashamed of what you're teaching your children. You're giving them tools to live long and healthy, quality lives. You should be applauded, not chided. There will always be someone to judge every choice we make as parents, and that can make us question even our most sound decisions. Keep following your instincts and your knowledge! You're doing right by your kids!! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2011