Pre school

Okay so i looked a pre school around here since there is only one durring the summer that is accepting kids.
The Director told me that she wants to teach with the montessori method, which i looked up and idk if it is for my daughter. And she told me that some of the kids there hit and spit..
I dont like the hitting I dont want her hitting or being hit.
what should i do?
Homeschool?
Babysitter?
or this PreK?
I do know that she needs interaction with other kids, but I do want her to excel and be a very smart 3.5 year old xD
I also do not want her in danger..

spitfire06

Asked by spitfire06 at 12:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• YOu can give your kids plenty of interaction with outside activities...my daughter is 2 1/2 and we do swimming, gymnastics, etc...she is very well rounded and I have taught her everything at home....she knows how to count in both Spanish and English, ABC's, colors, shapes, etc....you are their best teacher...if you're hesitant about it, then just wait. No need to rush...they will be in school soon enough :)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• If you're putting her in preschool because everyone else is, reconsider. I worked in a childcare facility for a short time. At three years old she'll be in a room with roughly 19 other kids, the teacher to student ration is 10:1 at that age. Do you want her competing for attention that much, or do you want her with you where she can get 1-on-1 attention for her biggest cheerleader.

My son was 3ish and had some speech problems. EVERYONE was pushing me into getting him speech therapy. I resisted. At 3 1/2 when his sister was born I pulled him out of that childcare facility I was also working at, and worked with him at home. Within a month or two he no longer had any speech problems.

Do what ever your Mommy Instinct says is the best choice.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• That would be 1-on-1 attention FROM her biggest cheerleader.......darn typos.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• IMO preschool is so overrated and unless you are paying a crap load of money they more often then not are glorified daycares. Sign her up for some activities, play dates etc... and she should do just fine.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I would never recommend putting a kid in a daycare/preschool setting where you are just uneasy/unhappy with the teachers. Are you allowed to sit in on the class for an hour or so to see what's really happening? Kids at this age hit, that's a fact, but what matters is how the teachers deal with it. Punishment? Ignore it? Talk to the kids to explain why it's wrong and how else to behave?

It seems the real advantage of preschool is to get kids used to the social rules of kindergarden so school isn't such a shock - things like sitting and paying attention to the teacher during circle time, raising your hand to talk, playing nice, cleaning up after you're done, etc. If you think she could really benefit from some experience with the social scene, maybe wait until she is 4 and look around again. Maybe you can find a part-time daycare center (since many good ones do pre-k stuff) or a Mother's Day Out program.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 9:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Keep your child at home with you as long as possible. there are other ways to get the social aspect.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 10:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Pre-k is overrated. There is no reason to waste your money. Especially if you do not totally agree with the methods being used. My house has been a non religious house for years, and all the pre-ks in my area are church run. I don't agree with the church doctrine they push so my kids stayed home until 5-6 years old and they went to regular school. I don't mind the belief in god, which my kids have a healthy dose of, but the "extra rules" preachers add are dumb.
    Audrice1985

Answer by Audrice1985 at 10:22 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• well its probably no different then any other enviroment she will be in with ither kids and early education is key do you have a headstart thats what all my kids go to id try it and see what happens maybe nothing and she really likes it and you can always drop her
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• ask her why are the children under her supervision hitting and spitting and then tell her to shove her methods up her ass and send your daughter to a better school.
    amanda_23

Answer by amanda_23 at 3:23 AM on Apr. 26, 2011