My dog is very posssesive over me.Is that a bad thing since I'm pregnant?

My chihuhua always growls when someone else comes into my presence.. It seems like she does not want anyone else near me. She didn't get like this till I found out I'm expecting.When we are alone she relaxes her head on my tummy and goes to sleep.Is this a bad thing?Recently she has stopped sleeping with me and only lays with me when I'm not sleep.What should I do to make her comfortable around me?How will she treat the baby when he arrives?

prdVirgobby

Asked by prdVirgobby at 12:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Pets

• Animals become very protective when your pregnant. The bad part is I am not sure what to do to help your situation. Only because it may be because you are pregnant so once the baby is born the dog wont be that way. You can always try spray bottle of water. So the dog starts to understand that he can't act that way, so maybe once the baby is born he will have already calmed down
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• theres some books on introducing the dog to the baby. you should start getting her used to not being with you since the baby is gonna be around. she might get really jealous. start getting her used to not being around. gl
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 12:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My chihuahua was the same way when I was pregnant! Don't worry, once the baby comes she will calm down a bit, at least mine did. As far as her not sleeping with you I think that will pass too. How far along are you? She just has to get used to you being pregnant. I was so scared my chihuahua would hate my baby since she hates anyone else that comes near me and can't stand children or babies but she suprised me because she loves my baby and is protective over him like she is of me. It will be ok!
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 1:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• It seems like the dog is protecting u and your baby. I'm sure the dog knows that there is something there. The dog can hear the heartbeat or feel the movements.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Im 29wks(= Thanks for the good answers ya'll it puts me at ease!! I'm just very attached to my dog because she was abused and my family is the only people shes used to being around... I want her to love my son cause I'm sure he'll love her!!!
    prdVirgobby

Comment by prdVirgobby (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I had a border collie/chow/australian shephard mix who was the friendliest playful dog you ever could come across. She was an outside dog and hung out right by my back porch. My bestie would come over every day for lunch and would use the back door. Sox (the dog's name) would get super excited and happy whenever she or anyone else would come over....until I got prego. Even before I started showing, she started growling at EVERYONE who came near the back door, even my friend who came over every day. She never bit anyone but we started having everyone use the front door instead. As soon as the baby was born, she quit acting like that and went back to her normal lovable self. Good luck!
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 1:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2011