Medicaid recently stopped paying for circumsion and prenatal vitamins b/c they say its not medically nessesary..What do ya'll think??

With the economy is it fair to stop moms from getting vitamins they need to help their developing baby/is it fair to stop circumsision because to many its a religious or health thing to do it?In Sc circumsison costs 502 half of which you have to pay up front before it's even scheduled. You have 21 days of the baby being born or the doctors office will not do it.How would you go about doing this if this was you?Are there any resources available to me???

prdVirgobby

Asked by prdVirgobby at 12:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Health

• http://www.meijer.com/content/content.jsp?pageName=prenatal_vitamins

http://www.schnucks.com/pressreleases/pressrelease.asp?id=83

Also try planned parenthood.

If you are on WIC you should be getting s a good array of foods including folic acid rich cereals.   Just eat well!

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Circumcision isn't medically necessary so I agree with insurance not paying for. It's cosmetic surgery only so pay out of pocket if you want it done. As far as prenatals, there are pharmacies that will give them to pregnant women for free.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• you can get prenatals for like $4 at Walmart...
    circumcision is not neccesary

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I agree with MrsMWF...if you want your baby boy to have cosmetic surgery, you will have to safe for it. Vitamins are not hard to come by. The tax payers cannot keep paying for everything. Times are tough for all of us.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• There are no sanitary issues. It's easy to clean an intact penis....and just like women have to clean, boys/men are capable are cleaning their genitalia as well.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 1:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I agree that circumcision isn't really a medical need (though studies show that women with circumcised partners have fewer vaginal infections), but I'm not so sure about cutting prenatal vitamins. Prenatal nutrition is essential, and not everyone has access to them for cheap or free. I know times are tough, but we (the tax payers) would get a bigger bang for the cut (so to speak) if the govt cut back on something big -- like some of the farm subsidies. People like the queen of England, who own large parcels of farm land in the US, should not be getting paid (with our tax dollars) NOT to grow certain crops on them....

....I'm just sayin'.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Create a post about the queen or other possible cuts and maybe I will respond to that subject there.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My dd had to pay for her sons circumcision. She was 17 yrs old and didnt work, so me, the other grandparents, my ex and inlaws all pitched in and got it paid for. It was I think $300 or so. As for prenatal vitamins that I dont get. They dont really cost that much money so whats the problem? You can take flinstone vitamins (2 a day) and get the same thing. I couldnt take prenatal, they made me vomit. My doctor said Flintstones work that same.

Answer by gemgem at 12:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I use flinstones and have to pay for them myself anyway. As far as the circumsision goes, I don't think medicaid should have to pay for that. It's the parents choice whether or not they want to get it done. I'm just glad I'm having a girl this time if that's all true. I circ'd both my older boys so I wouldn't feel right not doing it if I had another boy.
    bdflykisses

Answer by bdflykisses at 1:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• To me its just the sanitary issues of getting it done...
    And there is no pharmacy that will pay for them here.
    I have been out of work since i was 16wks because of complications so its hard to survive!Esp. when I have to buy 13 dollar prenatal vitamins(= But I'm a firm believer GOD will work it out!!
    prdVirgobby

Comment by prdVirgobby (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2011