Child Abuse

My son is 3. He has some delays I rather not get into but 1 is his speech is at 16 month old level so when he can't communicate he gets very very very angry and SCREAMS. I honestly sounds like he's being tortured.

Well I live in a condo we will be moving i nJune because the neighbors are not the nicest people. They don't understand my son has a disability. So today Security knocked on my door saying a neighbor called them because they heard banging and a child screaming- My son was throwing a fit and threw his toys at the wall while crying; I have explained to my Condo 's security and management about my son but my neighbors are really upsetting me with these constant accusations. The cops were callled and now I have to go talk to child serves to prove I never ever laid a hand on my child which won't be hard because my son ISN'T abused.

I'm scared that nobody understands this; I have all his medical records I showed the police but they said it's regulation to investigate the parents when they get phone calls like the one they got from my neighbors. What should I do?

I'm really frazzled and sad about this that people do not understand my son's behavior =/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you go to child services take all the medical records with you, talk to your doctor beforehand so they can speak for you on your son's condition.
    I pray for you and your son.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• It is time for a sit down with the neighbor.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• well if youre not abusing your child in anyway you shouldnt have to worry, about your child's behavior you never know CPS might have some resources to help with your sons disability, whether it be working with a professional or just giving you tips in the mail
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 1:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I guess I'm just scared because of ignorance. My son is my pride and joy. The people in this condo tell their children not to play with the "Retard" in 322 I just really am scared about child serves not understanding =(
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Your neighboor may not understand, but child protective services will especially if you have medical records to back yourself up. My son is 5yrs old and has develpomental problems. I've had CPS called on me several times from nosey neighbors and even distant family members that didn't know his situation. I was always very cordial when they came to my house, they are just doing their job. And all times they came, upon leaving they apologized for wasting my time. Sorry you're going through this, hope it gets better for you.
    lovinlifewith5

Answer by lovinlifewith5 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I can totally relate. I have had run ins with them like 3 or 4 times. They are really just doing their jobs. They have to come out and get the details on your behalf and of course check the children for any signs of abuse. Just hang in there and to to stay calm. I know its hard. The last time I had them called on me was somebody at my sons school and it really pissed me off what my son had to go through that day. Just be sure that your son knows it is not his fault and they are just doing their jobs. My son was only 5 and just started Kindergarden. Also my son still has a speech delay. He is 7 will be 8 in June and he's like on a 4 year old level. So totally relate to the whole understanding what he's saying. My son to this day gets upset when someone doesn't understand him.
    preciouscat

Answer by preciouscat at 9:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I am really sorry. Not all CPS folks are evil and out to get you and hopefully if the neighbors pull this stuff again the police will just leave because the matter is handled.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:58 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• well first of all im sorry to hear what you are going through gl and my son is also 3 and wspeech problems i go through early on to help him and he gets upset but not as bad but we also use sign language we made up ourselves to help him and it does work if there is no abuse cps will see that im sure theyve dealt with this before
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 25, 2011