For those that straighten their hair

So...I have the instyler and I like how my hair looks when it's straightened. It doesn't really take that long when it's dry but it seems like an hour later, it's started to get wavy again. What do you use to keep it straight? Mousse? Hair spray? Gel? Do you put it on hair before or after you straighten? Thanks! Also, have been thinking of investing in a wet/dry straightener...what are your thoughts? Does it take longer with hair wet? Worth the expense?

huntin_mama

Asked by huntin_mama at 1:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• I use GHD straightener, a little expensive, but totally worth it! I put Kenra straighten/smooth gel stuff in my hair before drying and spray my hair with Sexy Straight Hair polish before straightening. It doesn't take that long and it lasts for 2 days (without looking greasy).

PS- I would never buy one of those wet/dry straightener again they fried my hair .... well at least the one I had like 5 years ago did!
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 2:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• i have the instyler and that happens when I straighter my hair that is still damp, if I completely blow dry my hair before i straighten it doesnt happen, also try applying mousse before you straighten
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 2:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I bought some heat activated straitening spray put it on right b 4 straitening and it last till my shower b 4 bed
    msh88

Answer by msh88 at 2:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I have long, thick, wavy/curly hair.

I wash and condition, keep my head wrapped in a towel for about a 1/2 hour, then do not use any product before blow drying (that drastically cuts my dry time from about 45 minutes to 10) . I straighten using a CHI flat iron; then smooth on some jojoba oil or some conditioner to tame any frizz. I never have any problem with wave/curl returning unless it is extremely humid outdoors. I only wash my hair every 2-3 days and it stays straight and does not get greasy.
    Anonymous

• I have one of the wet/dry straighteners, and yes, if you use it often to dry your hair, it will fry it. It is very drying. I only ever use it for that purpose when I use a decent leave in treatment (usually CHI silk) before I start.

You can adjust the heat though so it is just a regular straightener and turn off the "dry" function. Like the PP, I don't have a problem with it getting wavy again unless it is humid out...and I haven't found ANYTHING that keeps that from happening. LOL
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• i also use a CHI and i have to say once my hair got use to being strightend i havent had trouble. its use to it. i have thick curly long hair. so for me i wash the night before let it dry over night and it takes me 20 mins to strighten my whole head. no frizz. i do put a lil hair spray in for any lil strays or fly aways but thats it. ceramic always seemed like the best one for strigtner. good luck.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 3:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2011