Cooking

Did your Mother or Grandmother teach you cooking or did you learn on your own when got married/in commited relationship?

My mother was a good cook but did not teach me, I had to learn on my own when I got married.

virginiamama71

Asked by virginiamama71 at 2:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Home & Garden

• my mother didn't specifically teach me, but i learned a few things from her. i moved out at age 20, and i didn't get married until age 36, so between 20-36 i taught myself.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I'm not great but learned on my own. my mothers food was icky... tons of casseroles, canned veggies, tons of 1950s mid-western comfort food which is another way of saying tons of fat/lard, meat, and starch... not a healthy way of eating.

Anonymous

• I got married when I was 18 and had left home for college at 16, so I had to learn by myself after I got married. I once asked my mom why she never taught me how to cook. Her answer? "I figured anyone who loved to eat as well as you would learn how to cook." She was so very right!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 2:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I taught myself. I blew up Corning ware (never put water in it right away), burnt meals, created some of the nastiest stuff ever and finally sat down one day, watch the Food Network with all the amazing chefs and learned how to finally do it well. Recipe books help, but for me watching them do it live was so much better.
    TwinkleLites

Answer by TwinkleLites at 2:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I learned baking from my Mom, and cooking from my Dad. They didn't take us by the hand and teach us, they let us join them in the kitchen and learn by doing, and helping. The first thing I remember learning was how to peel potatoes, then cut up a chicken. I didn't like that when I was younger, but I sure do appreciate knowing how to now! My Grandmother didn't like to cook, or bake,lol.. We loved going to her house because she had pringles, and keebler fudge stripe cookies,lol... The smell of them still remind me of her kitchen. :)
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 3:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My Mom & Gram both showed me how to cook, but I also went to Chef school. 2 actually. One for cooking and one for Pastry.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I taught myself to cook. My mom worked when I was growing up, so we didn't eat a lot of cooked from scratch meals. If my dad was cooking, it always tasted nasty. My grandma lived with us off and on when I was a kid, and she was a great cook when she was younger - but she never used recipes and never bothered showing me how. I've learned to cook well out of necessity.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 4:56 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My mom taught me to cook.
    bether89

Answer by bether89 at 6:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Never really wanted to learn, and didn't learn until i had my daughter.
    yummysmummy

Answer by yummysmummy at 6:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I learned some from my grandmother and my mother, but it has been a learning experience since I left home :)
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2011