I got some news about my car seat...

my sister in law says my car seat is not legal. it is just a booster seat that goes under the butt with a strap the pulls the belt into the right position on my child.

on the directions it said it was children over the age of 2 and over 30 lbs. my son is 3 and yes 30 lbs.

Please there is so many garbage sites that talk about car seats i cannot find anything with any actual information.

I live in iowa - Am i in the wrong here?

MoMoFu

Asked by MoMoFu at 2:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• From what I understand the pain booster seats (without the backs) are for ONLY those automobiles that have headrest in the seat itself. (i.e. those seats that look like the driver or front passenger seat). If you have 4-door car/sedan then you really should have the booster seats with the headrest/back as well. This is an example of a boaster seat with headrest/back area.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 3:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Booster at 40lbs or 4-5 yrs old!!!!
    Anonymous

• THat is too young to be in a booster....5 point harness until 40lbs or 5 yrs old!!!!!
    Anonymous

• I had a similar question about my 4 yr old. THere are state laws and there are guidelines. I just put my state name and "child seat belt law" into Google and found the state law.Based one law for Iowa, what you ahve is legal. You can also find sites that provide guidelines to keep kids safer. Personally, we still keep our 4 yr old in a 5 point harness and plan to until he outgrows the currrent seat.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My 3 year old still rides in a front facing she is over 30 lbs but the best place for info is http://www.iihs.org/laws/childrestraint.aspx
    CrazyMommy87

Answer by CrazyMommy87 at 2:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• http://moms.today.com/_news/2011/03/21/6302625-new-car-seat-guidelines-will-you-put-your-tween-in-a-booster-seat

The NEW 2011 guidelines....this is everywhere not state-state....

Among the changes in AAP guidelines:

•Children should ride rear-facing to age 2, or until they reach the maximum height and weight for their seat. (The old policy from 2002 cited age 12 months and 20 pounds as a minimum for when to turn a seat around.)
    •Children should use a booster seat until they have reached 4 feet 9 inches tall and are between 8 and 12 years old.
    •Children should ride in the rear of a vehicle until they are 13 years old
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 3:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I would harness her longer. She is so much safer in a 5 point. My 4 almost 5 year old still fits in her Graco Nautilus and I plan on keeping her there for a year to two longer before switching it to a booster with the back.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• a booster seat is for children who are 4 years old AND 40 pounds. Your child is way too small for a booster, especially one with no back. If you absolutely REFUSE to put your child back in a harnessed seat, at least get a high back booster so your child has a little bit more protection.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 6:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I believe that booster seats are for children over 35 lbs, and or over the age of 4! I would check in to the county where you live. They will help you out.
    AmyAnne25

Answer by AmyAnne25 at 7:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• the best thing to do is check with the police station because each states laws are different and the laws are also different then car seat regulations
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 10:38 AM on Apr. 25, 2011