Babys cord was not pulsating when born.

When my DD was born the midwife said her umbilical cord was not pulsating, what does that mean?

adriannebent

Asked by adriannebent at 2:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• y didn't you ask her? I think that would be my first response if I heard someone say that.
    Anonymous

• Are you sure you understood her correctly? The cord pulsates because of the blood flow that is keeping your baby alive. It stops pulsating shortly after birth when the baby no longer needs to get oxygen from you. If the cord was not pulsating at birth, the outcome would not be good.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 3:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Ya, I asked her but she said she was going to ask another midwife, cuz she was puzzled at why it wasn't pulsating. But she has not got back to me yet.
    adriannebent

Comment by adriannebent (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• stop being a bully anon moms!
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 6:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Most likely because she is an idiot and doesn't know how to tell if it is pulsating. If the cord was rounded and blue it was just fine
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2011