What to do about a hurt foot

My 5 year old son jumped off a swing at school yesterday and hurt his foot! I was trying to wait and see if it was just bruised or if he really hurt it before i take him to the doctors... Well this happend about 24 hours ago and he is still limping! Im pretty sure its not broke so should i take him to get xrays or should i wrap it up myself? i have a call into the doctor but i thought'd i'd get everyones thoughts 1st :) thanks ladies!

PregoMamaHolly

Asked by PregoMamaHolly at 3:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• If he is liminping, he should stay off of it, wrap it up, have him keep it up until tomorrow, if its still that bad tomorrow - take him in
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 3:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• er
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 3:14 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Kids bones r flexible at that age. It could be a break. Take him to the doctor. Any swelling? Is it warm to the touch?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• if it is swolling take him to the docter if he cant walk on it it my be broken
    littlekids

Answer by littlekids at 4:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• if your bones are flexible, that means it would less likely have been a break
    if he cried, it was probably a break, if he didnt it most likely was not a break
    Liz4Life

Answer by Liz4Life at 6:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• If he's walking on it I doubt it's broke. I fractured my ankle at 4 and I could not walk on it. It hurt way too much. It was almost a week before my mom took me to the doctor because she thought I was being dramatic and it wasn't hurt that bad. It finally became apparent I was really hurt but we were 250 miles from home. Ahh, the memories. I was in a cast for 3 months (over my 5th birthday and Christmas). Learned a valuable lesson about jumping off bunk beds. But I digress.
    If it were my kid I'd wrap it, ice it and keep him off of it a few days and if it was still hurting after that then I'd take him in. But I'm pretty much an expert at sprains. I've sprained my both my ankles so many times I've lost track and fractured both of them twice.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2011