Should dementia sufferers be electronically tagged?

Many times I hear on the local news of elderly people with dementia or Alzheimer's who wander away from home or nursing home. Some are found alive and some, tragically, dead. Do you think if someone is diagnosed as having dementia or Alzheimer's, they should have an electronic chip placed inside of them for safety reasons- like they do for pets?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 3:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I can see some kind of bracelet or necklace, kind of like a medic alert and maybe chip that, but in the body...NO!
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 6:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Maybe a bracelet or anklet. I'm just not fond of "chipping" people with tracking devices for any reasons.

Think of it this way ... it starts with chipping the elderly for their "safety" ... next step, putting GPS chips in your kids in the name of safety. Are you ready for that? There are TONS of examples that I could use.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I also agree with SpiritedWitch. It's a very slippery slope from chipping the Alzheimers sufferes for their safety to chipping everyone for our own safety or because it'll be easier than carrying a card around or whatever story tptb will try to sell us.

No chipping anyone, please. But I understand that an anklet alarm could be both necessary and helpful.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You don't need to chip them when small gps devices are available...heck they even hae some that can be put on shoelaces.

I am not for chipping people for ANY reason.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• It makes sense, but it should be optional, not mandatory.

Answer by older at 3:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• When my Dad was in a nursing home for ALzheimers patients they put a bracelet on his ankle with a tracking device in case he was able to sneak out....once the door opened,his bracelet would beep and they would take him back to the Lounge or his room. I really think if older people with dementia, Alzheimers were chipped or wore an ankle bracelet, lives would be saved. I am all for it.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I agree with SpiritedWitch.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 3:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• No

Maybe a braclet or necklace with a tracker

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 6:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• It should be optional (up to the family) and in the form of a bracelet or anklet, or something that can be worn but not easily removed.

Chipping is creepy.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Inserted like the microchips on dogs, no. A GPS type deal that is worn by the person or attached to their clothing, fine. It could be done with the emergency service necklaces they offer to seniors already.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2011