Electronic tags in pedophiles. Sound like a good idea?

How do you feel about the use of surgically implanted electronic tags in convicted pedophiles, which could be used after release at the end of their sentence to track their whereabouts using satellite technology? The tags could also monitor heart rate and blood pressure, giving indication of the possibility of a potential attack.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 3:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds HORRIBLE! Some people who are tagged as ''pedophiles'' AREN'T! I

This is the point that I make when you allow an anonymous government official and/or entity to make such important decisions about your personal life. Whether it is an appointed commission or an elected representative, power in a much-removed office often leads to atrocious decisions.

As far as pedophiles are concerned...if a board certified committee of hands-on psychiatrists attest to true pedophilia in the subject, as opposed to having sex with a sixteen year old girl and the man is 18 or 20, that said committee should be empowered to impose such a penalty because the truth of the matter is, true pedophiles will ALWAYS crave to molest small children. Their emotional development is stuck in that time zone and all of the treatment and tender loving care of medical and family will not overcome the matured biological need.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 9:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Little too big brother. If they can't stop offending, they shouldn't be let out. If they're let out, they are citizens again. Reform sentencing instead of trying to be Orwellian.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• That would open the floodgates for more chipping on humans. It's good in theory but the question is where does it end? One day pedophiles, the next petty crimes. Then something innocuous like chipping the elderly or mentally handicapped.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• No, sounds like more government waste. Who's going to monitor it? What will happen when they have high blood pressure? How would we pay for this? I agree with NP, if they're that much of a risk they shouldn't be let out.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I say just throw them under the jail and leave them there and we won't have to figure out what to do with them.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:58 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Oh my...why stop at pedophiles? Let's chip all the criminals, the elderly & disabled, kids, errant husbands....

I have always been pro death penalty for sexual predators...the real sex predators not not horny teenagers or people that decide to take a pee in public.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Sounds HORRIBLE! Some people who are tagged as ''pedophiles'' AREN'T! I have a friend who was 18 who had relations with a 16 year old, she loved him, so she claimed and he did NOT force her, it was consensual from both. HER mother called the cops and thats where it all started.......he doesn't deserve that. He can't even be around his own nephew. Now SOME people, yes i do think they should have one, but not ALL.
    Anonymous

• I can see that being taken WAY too far. It would be the beginning of a very icy (way passed slippery) slope.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• i happend to just see a news report about this such thing and it showed how they followed 9 out of 20 of a group of pedi's that had this device and all nine within a years time committed the crime again. So NO i don't think this works
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 4:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• The true pedophile (not the 18 yr old/16 yr old "we're in love" stuff) probably isn't ever going to be reformed. I agree with steph -- throw him under the jail.

Chipping anyone for any reason, no matter how noble the reason, opens the door for tptb to chip anyone else for any reason or no reason at all. And I don't want to live like that. I certainly don't want my children/grandchildren to live like that.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2011