Anyone succeed in breastfeeding but hate it?

This is rather embarrassing and I am having a hard time dealing with this. I am having my fourth. I successfully breastfed my first two for over a year. With my third little one I had to have surgery and had a long hospital stay so we wound up formula feeding her. I loved it. I truly dislike breastfeeding. We are getting ready to have our fourth and I am really torn on the whole thing. I can't pump so it is either breastfeed and hate it again or formula feed and be happy. My hubby would love to feed our little one since he has never been able to. He was deployed with my 3rd so he never got to feed her.

I don't know what to do. I feel like a bad Mom. Am I alone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I BF my first for 6 weeks & my DS for 3 wks. Yea, I HATED it!!! HATE, HATE, HATED it!!! Stopping was the best thing I did for the whole family!! I would shake and cry when I heard my DD cry to be fed - it was making me not even want to be in the same room with her... so switching was best for both of us!! So, I knew going in I was only doing about 2-3 weeks with my DS so it wasn't so bad. As my DOCTOR said... do what's best for the whole family... if it's not working for you it's not working for your child either. Best decision I ever made!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• i am currently bfing my third. . .and its no picnic since i have recently been dealing with fibromyalgia . . but i would rather bf than bottle formula feed. for one its much much easier to just put him on than have to make and clean bottles. i also pump because i work part time and its such a pain in the ass but i know its better than formula. i did try formula supplimenting when i went back t}o work as i did with my other kids but this little one got very ill from it. . .so u may not even have that option. i dont mind it so much but i cant wait to be done and just have my body back to myse lf lol. the benefits for me and him are worth the sacrfice though.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 3:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I am glad you tried it and did so well with the three. If you feel bad about not breastfeeding then consider compromising with yourself. Breast feed for a weeks or so and then wean to a bottle. If you don't want to breast feed at all that's fine as well. Though I fully support breast milk as being the best choice it's not the only choice. Tons of babies survive on formula every day, a few wouldn't survive without it!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Why did you hate breastfeeding? The only thing I didn't like was that it was rather painful the first few weeks ....my baby had a strong sucking ability. But I loved breastfeeding and it was SO easy!
    WHat was it about breastfeeding that you didn't like?
    I do think bottle feeding with formula is just as good too. I bottle fed two and breast fed one. They all turned out healthy.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 3:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I hated breastfeeding too mostly because it felt like passing broken glass through my breasts every time I had a let down even a small leak would produce intense pain. I stopped after three months of pain every time I would get near my son I weaned him and I hated him until I did.
    Please don't put your self through hell if you hate doing it, don't risk hating your child like I did nothing is worth that.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 6:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• pain but necessary
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I hate breastfeeding my toddler son, but I found it extreamly easy (after a few days of practice) I love the fact that I never had to wash bottles, or drag my butt outa bed at 12 3 6 am. it was as simple as picking him up, and putting him to my breast, he did all the work. maybe perhaps your doing somthing wrong, and its causing pain? or did u just hate giving up your body for all those months (i've struggeled with that, being an extended Bfer.) Good luck mama!!
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 1:47 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Nope, you're not alone and you're not a horrible mom.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 12:44 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• The ONLY bad mom is the one who beats her baby.

I hated breastfeeding. Did it for 26 months regardless. I have this perverse belief that the more a mom dislikes something the more important it is for her to DO it. It's a really helpful philosophy when it comes to putting work before play int he later years. **grin**

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 PM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Breast is best!
    LysNVantesMom

Answer by LysNVantesMom at 3:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2011