If Obama suports gay rights and the repeal of DADT

why where gay military families banned from the WH event last week to launch the new pet project of Michelle and Jill's?

"Today marks the launch of Michelle Obama and Jill Biden's "Joining Forces" initiative to "support and honor America's service members and their families." The two women, along with President Obama and Vice President Biden, will make remarks at the White House in conjunction with the kickoff.

Shortly before the event began at noon, Servicemembers United, which represents gay and lesbian troops and veterans, complained that the White House had barred civilian representatives of gay and lesbian military families from the  event.

"It is rather unfortunate that both East Wing and West Wing staff have refused to allow a representative of gay military families to even be in the room at an event that is supposed to honor their commitment and sacrifice," said Alexander Nicholson, Executive Director of Servicemembers United.

Kristina Schake, Communications Director for the First Lady, explained the decision this way in an email to CBS News.

"The President has been crystal clear that the Administration is moving forward with the repeal of 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' quickly and efficiently," she said. "However, it still remains the law. The White House, including the First Lady and Dr. Biden, look forward to working with the families of gay and lesbian service members after certification occurs and repeal goes into effect.""

This wasn't an event for military - it was for civilians.  DADT does not apply to civilians, including civilian family members and organizations dedicated to helping gay families.  And yet, they had room on the guest list for some corporate sponsors that have no direct ties to the military or military families...

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 3:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• If you ask me, I think Michelle Obama and Mrs Biden DONT like gay's. That's why they were excluded.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• imo i think they may have been banned so that the event didn't turn into a dadt rally. i am not against gays i just think that there is a time and a place for that and this event might not have been it. I could be wrong on thinking that but maybe thats what they were thinking.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 3:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• LOL I didn't know that.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• They probably don't like gays. Just as Bill Clinton hated blacks.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• That's sad that they weren't included. It's hard to show your full support for something and have your actions be a direct contrast of what you say. I would feel lied to if it were me. Personally, I don't think that they want to support it or repeal anything until after the next election because that is an obvious pull to garner that demographic.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Pretty shitty action, if I were a military gay person, I would be outraged.

Answer by older at 9:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Wouldn't it be bad to attend as a civilian supporting a gay service member. Wouldn't you then out them and get them discharged? If DADT is still a law then the white house was just protecting gay military members from being discharged as a result of well meaning friends and family. Perhaps they should have waited and held the event after DADT is completely gone and everyone can be themselves.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think that Obama is trying to stand on both sides of the fence, and take the position that he thinks will be most popular.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 9:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Obama is like all democrats. He never intended to support gay rights. He is a politican, he lied.
    alexiamms

Answer by alexiamms at 11:24 PM on Apr. 26, 2011