What's your take on the recent Billboard debate regarding the Rapture?

Here's a link to an article on the subject:

http://www.montereyherald.com/state/ci_17914285?nclick_check=1

Basically, an evangelical group posted a billboard warning that The Rapture is coming May 21st. Then an athiest group posted a billboard debunking the evangelical billboard.  

What do you think of the prediction of a May 21st Rapture?

What do you think of the atheist's retort?

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 3:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I think it's all foolish!! Why dont' they all spend their money on helping people in need.... I'm sure some hungry child would rather a meal and a warm blanket vs a billboard to read!!!

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 3:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Um, doesn't the Bible say that no man knows the exact time or date when Jesus will return? So exactly HOW to these people claim to know??
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think AA President, David Silverman, sums it up best:

“Every time someone has  predicted the rapture they’ve
    been wrong, but most of the time the  preachers make a lot of money in  the
    process.  In my opinion,  it’s an excellent scam –  if you can  handle the
    complete lack of  ethics involved. ”

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• As a believer in God & Jesus. NO ONE knows the hour, day or time of the rapture, OR the hour day or time of Jesus' return. No one on earth No one in heaven and not even Jesus. ONLY God knows.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Oh, must I be the one to point out the obvious? Crafty and Loving, THE RAPTURE IS COMING!! Feeding the starving children and giving them life-saving necessities at this point is useless. Posting billboards that everyone who hasn't been saved is what's important now! Don't you get it?  THE RAPTURE IS COMING!  WE HAVE A DAY, DATE AND TIME! 

What I'm wondering now is. . . would it be completely tactless to contact those people who believe that the Rapture is coming to see if they're willing to part with their bank accounts now?  I mean, with the Rapture coming and all, they won't have need of cash, but those of us who will be left behind might find a use for it during those six months while we await judgement.  See what I mean?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• dang..i had big plans for my 43rd birthday..but i guess i'll be gone, seeing it October 24th. oh, i'm going to Heaven i believe, i just don't buy the 'rapture' theory..so if the 'fat lady' hasn't sung her only song on May 21st, i'll be here with the rest of you...for at least 6 months...??

agreed with spiritedwitch and vbruno.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I want to know how much in donations they received with their first report of the rapture and if the economy has effected this second attempt to sell people a way into heaven.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 6:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• i am amazed that some people are so dim-witted they can be taken in by this rapture nonsense . So much for education !
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 7:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• They both made me laugh for different reasons but I'll guess we will know who is right on May 22nd.

My guess is that the atheists will be right.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• No man, not even Jesus knows the hour of His return. Only God knows that, if it's to happen on May 21st, it will. If not, it won't happen till it's supposed and not one millisecond before!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2011