What can I expect as I take my son to have tubes put in his ears...? How long is the recovery? How do I wash his hair without getting water in his ears?

Bamaborn

Asked by Bamaborn at 6:08 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Health

• If you go to a drug store they have special putty you put in his ears to prevent water getting in. I used to wear them when I'd swim.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 6:11 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It's a very quick surgery. When my daughter had hers done, she didn't even have an IV. They used gas to put her to sleep and it took about 15 minutes. She was completely her normal self as soon as the anesthesia wore off and she never acted like her ears hurt her or anything. I think it's more of a relief when it's done because they usually have so much pressure in their ears normally.

Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 7:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• We always put cotton in my LO's ears to keep out water.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 7:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• We were given ear putty by DD's doctor. She refused to wear it so I would put my hand over her ear while I slowly poured water on her head.

The procedure was really short but when she came out of it and woke up she was REALLY upset. She screamed for 2 hours straight and even bit me when I picked her up right after. I think it was because she could finally hear right and it scared her. After she calmed down she was just fine though. The worst part was how tore up my nerves were. Icried when she was taken back to the room. lol
    momie_of_munch2

Answer by momie_of_munch2 at 7:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• It is a super quick procedure. It was literally less than 15 minutes from the time they took my son to the time he was back in my arms. He was 9 months old when he had his in, he had chronic ear infections from 4 months until the tubes. After the surgery you will put some ear drops in as directed. I was told to keep water out of his ears for only a few days, after that it was back to life as normal. I would use a cup of water to rinse his hair and be as careful as I could about not getting it in his ears. He wouldn't let me put cotton balls in his ears. It was a very nerve wracking 15 min. waiting for the procedure to be done, and he was crying when they brought him out, but I snuggled him and gave his a cup of juice and he was fine. The real blessing is that he didn't have any more problems with his ears. He's 3 1/2 now, his speech wasn't delayed by the ear infections and he is doing great!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:03 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I had this dont several times as a child and I never remember it being to bad the recovery was really really quick my mom said and I had to go and get fitted for special ear plugs to wear in the tub and swimming lessons but that was 22 years ago so i guess id go with the "putty" everyone is talking about....
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son had it done. It took a total of 20 minutes from when he left, to do the procedure to when he was woken up and back in my arms. He was a little sleepy the rest of the day, but was fine.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 10:32 AM on Dec. 3, 2008