How do I get the chocolate to harden, to make it like a shell? (chocolate covered strawberries)

I am using Hershey bars, if that matters. I made them a few days ago, left them in tthe fridge for over an hour, and the chocolate was still gooey-like.

How should I melt the chocolate? Do I add any milk?

knicole0708

Asked by knicole0708 at 5:00 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Food & Drink

• did you use shortening? with the melting chocolate? the recipes i've used for melting chocolate for dipping/covering, all use shortening.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:02 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think you have to use a certain type of chocolate (not sure what) to get it to be like a shell. I usually melt chocolate chips and when I'm done put them in the fridge to harden. The chocolate melts fairly quickly once it is room temp.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• There is chocolate specifically made for that purpose. I saw a can of it just last week in the store.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• We just melt the chocolate over a double boiler and don't add anything. We use a good quality semi sweet not milk. usually 58-70%
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• well hot dog!!!!!!!! oh well, i only have hershey bars at this moment =[ next time i'll have to use diff. chocolate. THANKS!
    knicole0708

Comment by knicole0708 (original poster) at 5:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I can't really help you with this batch (unless you want to make a run out to buy stuff), but the one thing I've had my best experience with is Witman's melting chips. You can get them in all sort of flavors. Our local Wal-Mart sells the chocolate and white in the baking part of the craft section.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 5:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I wouldn't use a hershey's chocolate bar. I really like using semi sweet chocolate chips. Melt them in a double boiler or in the microwave.
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 5:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Don't use milk. I made that mistake and it totally ruined the chocolate - oy!
    Anonymous

• If you do add milk you made a great fondue! ;0)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I usually use chocolate chips and melt over LOW heat with a little shortening.One of the most important things is to make sure that the strawberries are completely dry. Water makes chocolate seize up and get all funky. Then place in the fridge for a couple of hours.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2011