What should I do?

I'm getting married in 10 months!!
My ex and I were never married but we have a child together. We've never gone to court to make any arrangements, but we decided our son will live with me, and he will take him at least twice a week or whenever I have an appointment etc.
When I tell my ex I am getting married...should we all go together to see a mediator and have set days put together for him to take our son??
Again, my ex and I were never married and my soon to be husband would like it if we had some sort of "formal" arrangement. And I agree....Thoughts? Opinions?

p.s. My ex is sort of the jealous type...I'm worried how he will react

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Maybe you should get a lawyer to handle it. If you can't afford one, try your local county attorney's office.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• things may have gone smoothly up to this point, but once Man#2 is becoming a legal permanent-marker, sometimes they get all crazy and things change. tell him first, and then see how he reacts. if necessary, get the legalities in motion, and get your 'formal arrangement' made.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• * 'they' being Man#1.
    dullscissors

• I would just ask if you can go to a mediator to get it in writing and not tell him you are getting married until after to avoid problems
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Yes.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Not tell him til after I'm married or wait to tell him infront of mediator?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Not tell him that you are getting married until after you are done in mediation.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• yeah i would definitely have some sort of papers drawn up and make things legal. The ex might not take the wedding to well and things might get ugly. I would do this before things get ugly.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 6:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Thanks everyone, I've sent an email to a mediator first...waiting for a call.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2011