I cannot keep my prenatal vitamins down-with or without food. I don't feel like I am getting the nutrients I need for the baby...? And sometimes it's hard to eat and when I do I want sweets! :? What to do? I want the baby to be healthy and get what he/she needs.

andie87

Asked by andie87 at 5:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Talk to your doctor about it but many times they recommend taking 2 Flintstones vitamins for moms who cannot stomach regular prenatal vitamins. GL! Hope you feel better.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 5:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• If you eat a faily balanced diet, your baby will get what he/she needs. Stop worrying. Prenatal vitamins are really a huge waste of money. Just make sure you get your folic acid - green veges and fresh fruit - and plenty of calcium - either from cheese/milk/other dairy foods or from things like tinned sardines. Starving women in the third world usually have healthy babies and the babies stay healthy until they are weaned. The way it works is that Baby takes what it needs, even if that leaves you deficient in some things. So it's more about looking after you. But supplemental vitamins are unnecessary. Just eat sensibly most of the time.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 5:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• eat right. I never took mine and my three girls came out fine. But if want to take them ask doctor for advice.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Awesome. I like your sensibility! :) That's what I always thought. They say no seafood, but I say Japanese babies are born everyday with a seafood diet! Geez, but people get me freaked out by saying do this not that. Eat that not this.Whew! It's overwhelming sometimes. I also like the flinstone vitamine idea as well though. I've got to go get another pickle and glass of milk! :) Thank you!
    andie87

Comment by andie87 (original poster) at 5:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I used to have to take my prenatal vitamins at night. If I took them in the AM, I was so sick!

Also, keep in mind that the occasional sweet is ok (unless you have GD). I used to make my own 'sweets' by microwaving apples with cinnamon or having pudding.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I was the same way. I was told try2 Flintstones vit. or the gummy vit. they may be easier to keep down. Im at 30 weeks I never took any vit at all bc I was so sick the beginning of my preg that I literally didn't eat anything. Talk to your doctor though see if they can rec anything for you.
    annabelle092810

Answer by annabelle092810 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Pre-natal vitamins made me very sick too so I just ate the gummi vitamins for kids. I think that as long as you get something you should be fine. People really do overreact nowadays, and there so many rules when it comes to pregnancy! I follow whichever ones are good for me because I always figure that women have been having kids forever and they've all turned out fine before all these rules.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 5:46 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• make a food ljournal & write everything down that you eat. You can set something up with your Dr. so that every time you go in, you show him/her your food log & they can tell you if you're eating OK. It helped for me, because knowing i was showing my Dr. everything i ate....made me eat much healthier.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I really like the food journal Idea! I think I'm going to start one now!
    andie87

Comment by andie87 (original poster) at 5:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I cant remember the name of the med but I know it was real expensive (insurance should cover it though) anyway I had the same problem with my second child ask your doc about anti nausea pills and see if he has suggestions
    txmomto3girls

Answer by txmomto3girls at 5:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2011