Why does my 11 month old son stop breathing at the beginning of a cry?

My son will fall and get hurt and start crying like a normal little one would but i have one problem he just stops breathing and acts like he's choking. It scares my husband and i very much we just don't know what to do. I have been looking online for answers and am not really finding anything but breath holding. I really need help i just don't know what to do for him.

tink0922

Asked by tink0922 at 5:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• some kids just do that my best friends son does this til he turns blue and the docs still say it's just a temper tantrum.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 6:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• How long does it last? I think it's normal - both my kids did it (and my 3 yo sometimes will when she pulls her daredevil antics and gets hurt). I always called it the silent cry. That's when we knew what ever happened really hurt and they needed lots of love and cuddles. I think it happens because they get SO upset that they do get a bit choked up. Unless there's something he's actually choking on, he'll be fine. He'll start breathing again.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 6:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• my ds is 3 and he does that when he's really hurt.... he looks like he's gonna cry and nothing comes out for a sec or 2, but then he cries a lot. i think its normal, but if your very worried, talk to his pedi
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 7:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• the problem is it lasts long enough for his face to start turning blue. it's really scary.
    tink0922

Comment by tink0922 (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• thats a strong cry keep observation
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2011