Need the help of Pagan mamas!

I just recently started learning about Paganism, and I'm really interested. However, I live in a very small, rural community, and I don't really know where to go. Can I even practice as single person? What do you use for an altar? Where do you have it set up? Is it okay to take it down? To move it to different places that are more peaceful? Are there certain books you'd recommend? What rituals do you practice?

All the information you could give me would be great!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• i would google websites for some info i don't know very much about this
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 6:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You can do what ever you want with your alter... I don't have one... the woods are my alter!! Yes you can practice as Solitary... I do. You can read any of the mainstream Wiccan books, and just omit the stuff specific to Wicca per say, and get a lot out of them.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 6:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Read, research, decide what you are. Even people who identify as eclectic still identify with certain deities or certain concepts. There's no set of "pagan" rules because there's really no such thing as "pagan" in terms of "a religion". A lot of people are solitary simply due to geography. The closest fellowship to me is over an hour away, so it's just us in our home. If you don't know what you are, aside from that you're something pre-Abrahamic, I'd suggest you start at sacred texts.  If you're actually leaning towards Wicca, there are tons of other sites like witchvox that can give you Wiccan specific info.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You can do whatever you are comfortable doing. I would do exactly like the above posters suggest. Do a google search or even a meetup.com search for Pagan groups close to you. Also look for up coming celebrations in your area. For instance Beltane is on May the 1st and I know there are events in Arkansas, Texas, Louisiana and Oklahoma areas. We are not usually completely alone, even if you have to drive or just get online, we are everywhere. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Can I even practice as single person? Yes
    What do you use for an altar? I have a white cloth and candles and a few stones.
    Where do you have it set up? On my dresser.
    Is it okay to take it down? Absolutely it keeps little hands off.
    To move it to different places that are more peaceful? Yes.
    Are there certain books you'd recommend? Not really
    What rituals do you practice? Mostly healing and well wishes.

Anonymous

• I also live in a very small and rural area... I have been a Solitary Witch for yrs... so yes you can practice alone... I have many different alters when needed and bc I have 4 fur babies the alters never stay up I also have small quiet outside places that I use when needed... As for reading materials... read it ALL... anything that pertains to Paganism, or any other religion for that matter, become knowledgeable with as many as you can and there is no time frame to do this... as a Pagan, you are always and forever studying and learning something everyday for life... Rituals for me varies as they do with all Pagans.... I do not practice the Craft daily, but I do let my beliefs guide me thru out my days in the way I talk/treat ppl... the things I do/say,etc. As for finding groups, there are many, tho maybe not in your area, but most likely in your state somewhere
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 10:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I am more of a kitchen witch, so all my rituals is things that are for hearth and home (like cooking, cleaning)

Like the others have said, you can be solitary. Your alter is yours to set up as you see fit, and it is fine to take down. Read whatever you can get your hands on! Knowledge is a big part of this path. Also, look into joining some groups on here. One I became part of a couple years ago is Newfound Pagans. I have gotten a lot of good guidance and camaraderie.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 10:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I've always been solitary and my altar is in my head mostly because of my three cats. Altars are personal things and you set them up with things that mean something to you.

What branch of Paganism are you looking into? It's a HUGE umbrella term that covers 1000s of different religions.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 12:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• You have wonderful questions, and I'm sure you have more. I always welcome messages if you have more. To answer these I first would like to tell you that like you, I am in a very small town and alone in my practice - in fact not even my husband is Pagan.

So, yes, You can practice alone, although SOME sects of Wicca do require a coven, but most do not, and Paganism in general really doesn't have such "rules."
    You can create an alter out of anything - right on the ground if need be, or a dresser or desk or stone - whatever!
    Yes, you can take it down. I never leave one up out of respect for my DH.
    I have a list of reading on my blog (which you should also read)
    And as for rituals, I'm tend to only do those for Sabbats at this point. I have done others but simply find no need for all the formality in most cases. You'll get that with experience.

Here is my blog:
    www.witchywonderland.blogspot.com

Msg me if you have more

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:27 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• It would take FOREVER to really answer everything. I suggest joining some of the Pagan/Witch groups here on CM, looking up YouTube videos (CharmingPixieFlora, HollyDaisyRose, etc.), blogs, etc. I have a blog and a YouTube channel, and you can PM me if you like.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2011