Four month old isn't pooping

My four month old hasn't pooped in two days. today will be his third day (it's early there is still time) and I have read that as long as he doesn't go more than three days he should be fine. He is still having plenty of wet diapers. He is only BF, no solids yet and no formula. Also his gas stinks now! His toots never had a stink before and now they do. He did this over the weekend too. He pooped on Friday then nothing until Sunday (and then he REALLY pooped). Now he hasn't pooped since Sunday again. Is this normal. Should I skip the three day rule and call the doc?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• EBF babies can safely go up to 10 days without a bowel movement, as long as the end result is not hard, dry or pellet like. You don't need to do a thing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:34 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• In my opionion. Yes, you should call the pediatrician.

BUT, you also need to watch your own food when you are breastfeeding. Everything that could cause constipations ect. for you will cause the same for your baby!

But usually breastfeeding moms dont have babies that dont poop for so many days. Call the pediatrician and get an appt. so they can check on your baby.

Other than that. Give him some warm baby tea. That helps a lot with gas and sometimes it also helps with the constipations.

Good luck.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:55 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If his previous stool was not hard pellets it is completely normal! Breastfed babies can go much longer than 3 days without a poop so I would not stick to that rule. I had a guy that went every 7 - 9 days and was NEVER constipated. Baby takes in the perfect amount of breastmilk leaving little to no waste. Baby is using all of that great goodness so there is nothing to expel. Breastmilk is amazing in so many ways, this is just another one of the pluses.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:00 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• my baby boy had problems with constipation for several months, since the second month, though he was on BF only. His gas had a strong and bad odor too, especially when he was constipated. When we started juices and solids, I tried to give him plenty of water, juice like prune, apple. If you've started with juices, try to give him apple or prune juice- it should help. Usually when they get constipated, they are restless, their appetite decrease, abdomen becomes harder too. Usually when I am restless about calling or not the doctor, I go ahead and call him, it is better than calling him when the problem has progressed and the baby will suffer more. blessings,
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:10 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I agree with the first poster. It sounds like something that you may be eating may be irritating your baby's stomach. Also, my Pediatrician said that as long as a baby's stomach isn't distended and they aren't crying in pain and refusing to eat, that they are ok to wait a little while longer to see if they will poop on their own.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 7:35 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Its not uncommon, but the gas part would be a clue that something you ate might have irritated his tummy. He will go, but if its constipated, then I would check my eating to see what it was he reacted to. Three days is not too long just yet. He might just have a pattern of this, but just watch him and see. If he begins crying with pain....then you know hes prob constipated. Good luck.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• He pooped!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• My son only pooped once a week at this age. It's normal for breastfed babies to go without one for up to 10 days. Just so you know in case it happens again.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• BF babies can go along time with out pooping. I think my kids have all gone a week without. I remember several ruined outfits waiting for it to come. My pede said not to worry about a few days.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 11:21 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Congrats on the poop! My DD was EBF for a long time and sometimes it would be 4-5 days before she would poop. Don't worry. Once I think it was 8 days.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 1:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2008