My question is when do you tell your kids the truth about Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and all?

Is there like a good age to tell them? When are they to old for it all? Would love to hear any thoughts on this please.

preciouscat

Asked by preciouscat at 6:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't plan to ever tell them. They can all figure it out on their own when they are ready to understand. My older two are 9 and 10 and they realize it isn't real. They are both too logical to not have figured it out even though they play along. I think they've known for a couple years. My son (the 9yo) helped carry in the Easter candy. He tried to peak in the bag and I told him to go put it in my closet and leave it alone, he'll find out what I got on Sunday. And to not spoil it for his younger sisters (8 and 5).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:04 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• When they start asking. I refuse to insist it is real once they start asking.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I do the same as first poster.. My youngest two are 11 and 9. I am sure they no longer believe but I still love doing all that.. Hell, we still do it for our 18 year old.. I think once they move out I will stop and all christmas gifts will then be from mom and dad :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I never told mine. I let them figure it out. Theyd ask me "Santa isnt real is he", my response is "If he isnt he doesnt have to come does he?", then a wink.

Answer by gemgem at 7:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• When my kids ask stuff like that I always turn it around and ask them what they think. I've never come right out and said if those beings are real or night, I've just implied they are and let them think what they want. They know I don't believe in them. Of course, Mommy doesn't get gifts from Santa or the Easter bunny. The only people I've ever met that were "traumatized" over being lied to about Santa were the ones whose parents decided to tell them the truth at some arbitrary age (like 6) when they weren't emotionally ready to understand. I remember figuring it out around 8 and feeling so cook that I was in the know about it, lol. After that I got to play Santa for my younger brother which, for me, was more fun than getting gifts.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Mine have always known the truth, but i do tell them to play along in school. I dont want them to ruin the other kids fun!
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 7:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• We just told them about 10 minutes ago..LOL. We want them to understand the real meaning of Easter. Jesus Christs coming back. I am getting tired of all the commercial holidays...we just had 2 birthdays and then twin birthdays for goodness sake..and just paid for most of prom..graduation and another big birthday is coming up Valentines Day... $$$$$ Plus I do not want to fill them up with all this junk ....they are 8 and almost 10...although the 10 yr old had a pretty good idea. For a few yrs now I have slipped a little...and they ask.."Why do the stores sell all the Easter candy?" They knew.
    Anonymous

• DD isn't going to be taught that any are real. IF we teach about fairies, she's going to learn the non-fiction version of things. We'll probably teach her ABOUT the Easter Bunny, Santa, etc., but not teach her that they're real.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Oh, and as for the age, I stopped believing on my own when I was maybe 5, but I think the year before. I was never really convinced Santa or the tooth fairy was real, but I was terrified of the EB for years because this guy in a HUGE bunny costume came to our house one year delivering baskets and he scared the crap out of me. I STILL have bunny nightmares sometimes. Anyway, I think we told my sister when she was like 10 and she bawled. Most kids I've known knew they were fake by 8, though. Not sure how to approach having that talk, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:34 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I've never had to cross this bridge. my kids know about these fictional things but they also know they are "make-believe" and none of it is real.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2011