Why does it hurt so bad when the kids move away?

chrismom19

Asked by chrismom19 at 7:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I have not experienced it yet but mine will be 18 in about 1.5 months. He has made it very clear that he does not need me for much anymore. Our kids are such a huge part of our life. It is nice to be needed and looked up to. Partly I am feeling relieved but scared at the same time. I worry that I have not taught him enough. ?? Change is hard.
    Anonymous

• It didnt hurt me when my kids went off to college. I have had moments of missing them but It did NOT hurt me in the least! Its wonderful to have my home and life back to myself.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 7:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Because they were ours for many years and we loved them and nurture them and guided them to be independent and then they are.......

Answer by older at 7:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• It didn't hurt when my kids left. I helped them pack and wished them well. I didn't have problems with them. I was just ready to get started living my own life for me.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• hugs

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:05 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• My oldest heads to college next fall and I'm not feeling ready for it. She's become very independent in the past 2 years but I'm just not ready not to see her every day or have breakfast with her every morning or talk to her before bedtime each night. I guess I'll get used to it but I don't think it's going to be easy.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:23 PM on Apr. 26, 2011

• I cried for 2 years after my daughter left for her military career! It wasn't quite as bad when my son left as for the last two years he was in high school, we barely saw him, he was involved in a lot of activities and worked part time - you could say he was helping us get ready for the big day. Empty nesting is NOT what it's cracked up to be - in all the child raising years - those first several empty nest years were the worst!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 4:50 PM on Apr. 27, 2011