How can I get my girls to listen to me, while reading them a story for bedtime?

AmyAnne25

Asked by AmyAnne25 at 7:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• i have DS sit next to me and i ask him questions about whats on the pages. Like where is the kittens and mittens.. or try a realy easy book. Like one that has only one line on each page. then they might want to see what is going on reather then you reading a whole bunch of lines on each page, they mey lose interest.
    Shorty616

Answer by Shorty616 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Yeah my daughters do not like to sit and listen. They lose interest fast. I think showing them pictures in the book and pointing out neat things will interest them more. Thanks
    AmyAnne25

Comment by AmyAnne25 (original poster) at 7:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My DD is the same way. The only thing that works for me to get her to settle down enough to just pay any attention to the story is to threaten to stop reading and put her straight to bed...that usually gives me an immediate turn around to where she sits quietly beside of me and we have interaction throughout the story talking about it and such.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I let my kids pick out the story, one night ds picks it out and the next night is dd and they look at the pictures and tell me what happened in the story when I am done reading & they know they have 2 pay attention so they can tell me what happened and sometimes they make up there own stories & I will write the words for them and the next day they get 2 draw pics to go with the words that they told me the night before. I hope this helps. Good luck. :)
    mama2005

Answer by mama2005 at 8:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• How old are they? With toddlers sometimes it's enough that you are reading aloud if the areplaying quietly. They absorb it even if it seems they aren't listening.
    BUT asking them questions about what's on the page helps keep their interest a bit more focused. Or try books with lots of repetition where they can anticipate what comes next. Pause andlet them fill it in when it gets to thepart that repeats.
    Or interactive books like with flaps. My son loved Where's Spot? Interactive and repetitive at the same time.
    If they are old enough let them "read" a favorite book to you. You would be surprised at how much they can memorize.
    Just make sure the books are age appropriate and above all keep reading to them! The benefits will last a lifetime!
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• That's easy. Just close the book and walk out. If they want to listen they will listen
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Very small children have a limited attention span . With older chidren, you may just need to find them a more interesting story .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2011