How to get Gas money?

For many years my DH & his brother went to animal shows. Always in our vehicle. Never in his brother's. Who at one time had a new truck. But always took DH's. Then when we got down on our luck. We got a old truck, gas hog, we need to pay our DD for anyway.. Times got really bad here! Over 2 years ago DH lost his job and our insurance. Then in 2010 I get a aggressive Cancer. Which is impossible to do so poor but we had to! I just go without needful test, meds, decent healthy food and all. That's fine! But Gas is so high! His brother barely helps with gas. He'll forget??? But he has a high paying job. Lives at home with his parents. Is in his mid 40's! Anyway.. the gas to go to these shows costs anywhere from $20.00-$40.00. More so with this old pickup and now the outrageous gas prices. He handed DH some money. DH said Thank you! He gave him $3.00! That's not even a gallon of Gas! DH lets it go! We have NO money for needful things! We couldn't be more down on our luck. DH won't ask for Gas money. Never has. But isn't it courtesy? Due to my poor health I don't go along. Is there any way to get it? Or am I barking up the wrong tree? And have to live with it. This is a big sacrifice to go and not worth it if we have to always pay for all/most of the gas! Any tactful ways to hint?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Relationships

• Nope straight forward...that is why those people have money...they are anal! if it is getting to expensive then stop doing it. Cut down on your budget
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 8:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• He either drives or gives gas money. If doesn't want to he doesn't go.
    mommyof11050307

Answer by mommyof11050307 at 8:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Next time there is a show, you should just say, "You'll have to be the one driving to this one because we cannot afford the gas." Don't leave any opening for discussion. He owes your husband a few rides.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 8:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• yeah make him drive
    mamawilbur

Answer by mamawilbur at 8:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I'm sorry, but if you don't have money for necessities, then why is your husband going in the first place? That is $20-$40 that you could be using for food or medical care.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I know DH needs to go. Thank you for the thoughtful replies! He needs to get out and have any life! Being away is good. Having male time with his brother is good. Imagine my Cancer and me being so needy. His life was taking care of me! He also goes to sell livestock. Unfortunately the gas sucked up any profits. This is a bonding thing they've done since childhood with their beloved Grandpa. Who has now passed. They're caring on the tradition. He needs this! And there's only so many each year! Its his only time away and out. Its a good thing! Sometimes if there's room they'll car pool with my DD & her DH. But if they bring along their children. That's not possible. This is now generations doing this!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Oh, okay. I would just tell the brother that he needs to pay "x" amount of money for gas.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I know people like this. They're sitting on money and riding free with anybody they can. I think you should tell your dh to tell his brother he needs some help with gas money (I know it's a pride thing, my dh had rather have teeth pulled than tell someone we're short on cash). Or just tell him his car's old and he would like for him to drive. But don't be shocked if the brother asks YOUR dh for gas money.
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 25, 2011