What are your opinions? Is there any reason I shouldn't go ice skating? or do you too think it's too "risky"

SO.. I am 12 weeks pregnant to the date... I have a 19mo old sd... and I really wanted to take her ice skating. I have been on the ice since I was two....

Dh and I are in a disagreement..because he's afraid about me being on the ice. This will be the first year if i don't go that I haven't been on the ice since I was small.

AMaesmama

Asked by AMaesmama at 7:47 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• you should def. NOT go ice skating. It doesnt matter if you are a perfect at it or not.

its way to risky.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• in my opinion i personally wouldn't do it,but you have been on the ice for quite a long time if you feel comfortable and safe i say go for it.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Ice skating is one of those sports, like downhill skiing, that is usually contraindicated during pregnancy http://pregnancyandbaby.com/pregnancy/baby/Can-you-go-ice-skating-during-pregnancy-280.htm
    Sports that require balance (like ice-skating) can become surprisingly difficult in pregnancy for even the most accomplished athletes.Ice-skating may be OK if you are very experienced and won't fall. Beyond the first trimester, direct abdominal trauma or the shearing forces of a sudden stop are unsafe for the baby. Abdominal impact, falling, or getting shaken up can lead to premature separation of the placenta from the wall of the uterus--a serious condition called placental abruption.In pregnancy, your ligaments soften from the effects of the hormone progesterone. Progesterone makes your joints more flexible, probably in order to help the pelvis open up and let the baby pass through. . www.drspock.com
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 8:17 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• you might be good at ice skating but their are others who might bump into you and make you fall or fall on top of you and hurt you.nobodys ever lucky =/
    but if anything all 3 of you can go..you can watch your girl atleast have fun skating with her dad =)
    then you can all have lunch together and then go out to a movie or something something you all can do afterwards =)
    misty91

Answer by misty91 at 8:43 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Definitely too risky! You may be a good ice skater,but your 19 month old sd isn't. How easy it will be for her to slip and fall in front of you and you fall down and land on your belly. She isn't even old enough to be disappointed about not going. Take her to the park, buy her a new toy, go look at Christmas lights, but don't go ice skating this year!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:09 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• When i was PG the first time i went at about 12 weeks... Just dont do tricks lol
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 11:05 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• you should definitely skip the ice skating this year. no matter how great you are at it someone else might crash into you god forbid! so always be careful honey

better safe than sorry
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 12:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I would skip it if I were you. Even at 12 weeks your balance is different and you do risk a fall. Ask your provider, but I am fairly sure she will say the same.
    mellibelli917

Answer by mellibelli917 at 12:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• We had a teacher at the rink who was teaching others while being pregnant till the very end. If you have ice skated all your life and want to take your son I don't think it's a big deal cause you won't be skating fast or doing any jumps or anything. However, keep in mind that your balancing is off due to pregnancy which can make it more difficult for you to skate. Also if it is the first time for your boy you'll basically have to bend down and hold him entire time which will be hard on your back. If I were you I'd go with somebody who could watch hold the boy so would have the freedom of movement.
    F0reverAmber

Answer by F0reverAmber at 12:56 PM on Apr. 12, 2009