How do you handle a two year old in a grocery store when he doesn't want to sit in the cart?

sweetnhot8

Asked by sweetnhot8 at 8:21 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know he/she may only be 2, but have you tried letting them help you. My son is 2 and there is a time or two where I let him help. I will grab the item off the shelf and he will drop it in the basket. Or if he is sitting in the cart Iwill hand him items to hold or he will toss them in the basket behind him. Nothing breakable of course but it helps me. Best of luck
    TLW514

Answer by TLW514 at 8:48 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• try putting him in the basket part? maybe that will work i know that it takes away from utilizing the whole space but i had to do that b/c mine tried to climb out
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• bring him hungry. like for example if he usually eats a snack at 3pm, skip snack and go shop at 4pm. then have a snack (a good one, interesting or special enough to capture his attention) ready to go. by the time he's done you'll be maybe 1/2 thru shopping. then he should be compliant but if not, he's old enough to help count bananas or hold a bag open while you load peaches in, etc. Also asking choices (plain applesauce or the cinnamon?) and having him be in charge of it. holding it in cart, handing it to checker, and carrying it home in his own bag
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Pick up books or toys while your walking through the store, something to occupy their time. My kids would play with them for a while then be bored of them, then on to the next thing. Worked every time!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 8:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Bring some puffs with you for him to snack on and also involve him. Tell him to look at certain things, displays, signage, flowers, balloons. Take him through the produce aisle and have him feel what an apple, orange, banana is like. I wouldn't go to the store having a really long list. I save those trips for myself to do late at night or on the weekend when I don't have to take them along.
    splendidbaby

Answer by splendidbaby at 8:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I always brought a container of cheerios, raisins, etc. for them to eat while I shopped - it kept them busy!

Answer by missanc at 8:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• FEED HIM! lol I always brought a few snacks & sippie cup. As she got older I would go in the fruit section let her pick some fruit out buy it clean it up & put it into a bowl (one that I brought) then allow her to eat the food she picked out. It was exciting for her to pick out what she wanted to eat.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• My store has those 'fun' carts for kids (that are shaped like a car) so when mine were little I would try to grab one of those carts - as they sat nice while they 'drove' the cart. If I went to a store with regular carts I would put them in the back. My youngest (now 5) has always been good about staying right with me so sometimes I would allow him to walk next to the cart and be my 'helper'.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Make him anyway is my first response that ocmes to mind. Lol my sisters son went though this, and rather than finding a way for him to enjoy it (ie. Help put things in the cart, sing songs, play whats that) she let him walk.. I cant tell you how many countless of times walmart needed to be put on Lock down because her son ran away (usually found somewhere in the vicinity of the lobsters or popcorn chicken Lol)
    I let my son help me, I grap the item off the shelf and let him throw it in the cart, and we sing songs, and play whats that. Lol
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 10:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Thanks I will try that.
    sweetnhot8

Comment by sweetnhot8 (original poster) at 8:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2011