Should a husband discuss being a freemason with his wife beforew joining?

DH is thinking about being a mason but has said little to me about it. I was raised as a Christian and from what I have read about masons they only believe in a higher power but do not name who it is and the Holy Bible states that in order to believe in God you must believe he is the one TRUE God and also believe in Jesus that he is the son of God who died for our sins and well DH seems to always be drawn to other religions all of a sudden. I realize that his mother is a holy roller who tries to cram the Bible down everyone's throats so he is turned off by Christianity but he got mad at me when I told him I didn't wanna do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Religious Debate

• He absolutely CAN discuss whether or not to join with you!

However, once he joins he is not to discuss the specific rituals with anyone who is not a Mason, including you. My father is a Mason (no longer active), and to this day has not told me any of the "secret" details. To be honest, it's really not a big deal.

As far as the "God" thing - it's kind of like the Boy Scouts... you are required to believe in a supreme being, but they don't specify which one you have to believe in. Nearly every Mason I know is a Christian. Although the $50/$100 may seem like a lot right now, in the end you will probably benefit from it. For example, when I was 30 I happened to notice that a potential employer was wearing a Masonic pin, and I mentioned that my father was also a Mason. I was hired before I left the interview. They are a lot like a fraternity.

Also, there are groups for the wives/children of Masons that you may enjoy.
    Eek_a_Geek

Answer by Eek_a_Geek at 8:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• the way i understood it was that he couldn't but i could be wrong.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 8:26 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Well you don't have to do it, if he wants to, there shouldn't be a problem. As long as it doesnt' have a negative effect on your family, why care
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• When both hubby and I were Christians, he wanted to join "Promise Keepers". I thought it was hokey and a little cult like, but it was his decision. I didn't tell him he couldn't because I thought it was weird.

As long as it doesn't negatively affect the family, let him search for his path. You have yours, he wants his.

Also, if his mother pressured him to accept her point of view, you might want to back off so he doesn't see you in the same light.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:41 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Huggs
    MexTexmom2

Answer by MexTexmom2 at 8:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I didn't think they were allowed to talk about it. And honestly, whatever spirituality he believes in or whatever is his own business, even though you are his wife. If Christianity is right, you can't save his soul from being damned by God, anyway. It's up to him, in the end. If he can talk to you about it, then that's also up to him. I can understand wanting him to talk about it, but if he doesn't want to or can't, you can't force him to.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• He works with one and asked him what he needed to do to become one. He got approved by them to be one but has to pay $50 to them and then $100 later on. We cannot afford it but he wants to do it anyway. He always does these money schemes and I do not like when he does this kinda stuff cuz me and our children always suffer.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Oh and he works 6 days out of the week and then if he becomes a mason he will never be home. Everything they do is a secret and I am not one that likes secrets in her marriage so if he joins we might as well not be married.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Being a mason can help him job wise and also help him meet better connections to get better jobs or connections for the job he has.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• He works for a mom and pops car dealership that he never plans on leaving so no being a mason won't help him w/work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2011