How to make your childs appreciate what they have?

My kids fight all the time, they are 3 years apart both girls. Sometimes i wish they would realize what they have before they start fighting about it. I wish they would see how different life would be if they didn't have eachother. I really hope they appreciate each other and that they always have someone to play with and to talk to. I wish I had a sister when I grew up.

Do you ever think about ways to show your children what they actually have that other kids out there might not have?

thismotherof2

Asked by thismotherof2 at 8:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• You can make them aware but they have to appreciate it and sometimes they do it just does not seem like it.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 8:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I dont think their brains are even developed enough to understand such a concept. I wouldnt sweat it seems like normal sibling things anyway. You can explain it to them, tell them how you wished for a sister when you were younger etc but dont get your hopes up that they will understand it or stop fighting!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Oh BTW you could always have them volunteer. Have them donate things to places & if they are old enough even work in a shelter to see what they really have. My 3 year old is an active volunteer already!
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• we volunteer at the food pantry and soup kitchen
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 8:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I would always emphasize the importance of blood relatives and a sister or brother was the closes ones, in fights this is how I would solve quarrels, we would talk and settle their differences with words and actions, of course until the next fight, but when they became adults, there are there for each other always.

Answer by older at 8:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• They will realize it when they become old enough to have friends w/parents who have passed away, who have lost a sibling, who doesn't have enough to eat, etc.. Until then it's hard to make them understand what they have. All of my sons thought they had it rough (you know..."OMG, there's nothing to eat in this house" as they start in to a full cupboard or fridge and mean "there's no junk food or ready to microwave food in this house" at times until they made friends with kids who REALLY had it rough. My 20yo son was 17 and said that once while a friend of his who has lived off of pasta noodles and ketchup was over and his friend looked at him and said "what the hell are you talking about, you don't KNOW what it's like to be hungry boy". It was like a slap to my son and he apologized to his friend and to us.
    Anonymous

• I had 2 brothers. Was so glad I did not have a sister. Don't miss that at all.. I agree with older on this subject.

Answer by louise2 at 8:59 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Have you ever been so hungry you didn't know whether you were hungry or going to vomit? I have. When I was a kid, there was a time when my parents could afford to buy pajamas for my sisters & I. We had to sleep in our dresses. We had a huge garden. It was about as big as a 5 car garage. If we were hungry, my parents would tell us to go out to the garden or in our neighbor's orchard and pick something to eat. Talk about healthy snacks. We raised and butchered chickens and a cow every fall. I met my DH after I graduated from college. My sister & I would amaze him by how much we ate. I could eat him under the table. Believe it or not, I was thin at the time. Now, we live in the city where we have a house on a small piece of property. Our kids don't know what it is like to work like I worked in the garden when I was growing up.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 9:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You guys are all amazing and thank you for your responces, I'm really gonna take in consideration to the volunteering. I just really hope as they get older the fighting stops at least it's not as often as it is now. Thank you to all of you.
    thismotherof2

Comment by thismotherof2 (original poster) at 9:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Don't miss "teachable moments". If you have a chance to make your point out of a situation that arises in every day life, use that opportunity.

However, I am VERY close with my sisters (all my 9 siblings, actually) and wouldn't know what to do without them now that we are grown up...but as kids, we were at each other's throats constantly. I think that this might be one of the things people don't FULLY appreciate until they are old enough to see the value for themselves. Now that we are grown we know the importance of family more than we did growing up.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2011