What do you think?

Is there ever a good time to sue? Or are all law suits frivolous, or an easy way to get money? Does it matter to you if you are suing an individual, or a company?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think the majority of people sue as a way to make a quick buck. But there are legitimate cases. And there are also legitimate cases that don't hold up in court while meaningless ones do.
    mrsziemann

Answer by mrsziemann at 8:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You don't have to sue someone for money, you can sue for an injunction. I feel that it would all depend on the situation.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 8:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• There are TONS of frivolous cases out there, ie "That coffee that burnt me didn't have a warning label" or "I fell asleep while straightening my hair and now I have no hair". There are also cases that I consider legitimate, such as what happened to someone I know. He was walking through a Home Depot-like store, when some poorly stacked, unrestrained 2x6s fell from the top shelf, leaving him with some pretty serious injuries. He wasn't able to work for a while, so.....there ya go.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 9:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I definitely think that there are a lot of frivolous lawsuits out there, and these are probably the ones we hear most about, but I think the majority are probably legitimate. Unfortunately, a lot of people just don't do what is right by each other unless there is a court order anymore.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Litigation is always the last resort. If you are negotiating a contract, put a mandatory mediation and/or arbitration clause somewhere inside the document. If it is over a tort of some sort, you are still better off to choose mediation first, then arbitration before you decide to litigate. Look for win-win solutions and forget about getting it all back. Learn from the experience and go on about your life...that is the best revenge of all.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 9:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• A lot of lawsuits are frivolous, but many are the only solution to a problem.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Most lawsuits are legit, which is why they're also too boring to make headlines. People are sued every day for not paying people money they owe or not providing a service someone paid for. Those are all legitimate. In the quest to stop the people suing over stupidity, it's important not to slam the door on those suing because the contractor left bare wire exposed to water.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Not all law suits are frivolous, there are some that have merit and should be placed.

Answer by older at 8:35 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I agree that we only hear about the most audacious lawsuits--the ones that make the headlines. But I think a way to curb the frivolous ones, would be if the plaintiff were billed for any and all expenses related to filing the suit against the defendant (court and filing fees, defendant's lawyer expenses, etc.) if the case is tossed out due to it's frivolity!

I think if one could possibly have to pay the expense of the person they are accusing, they might just stop and think twice about filing! If you feel you have a solid/reasonable case, then go for it! But if the judge feels otherwise, be prepared to pay! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:46 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I agree with Older. You sue when you have a meritorious claim. Even then, think twice, because the costs of litigation are insane. You have to pay your attorneys while the suit is in progress (which could be two years or more).
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:09 PM on Apr. 26, 2011