Hospital Bag Advise

I am a few days away from being 31 weeks pregnant with my first . I just had to go to the Hospital Thursday night because for almost three hours I was having contractions lasting about 4 minutes and they were 5 minutes apart, and eventually 3-4 minutes apart. I went to my hospital and they kept me over night. While I was sleeping they had to give me a shot to stop my contractions or else I would have starting dilating.
What Im getting at is that I am nervous I will go early, my doctor told me that my goal is to get to at least 32 weeks, and if I make it to 32, then my next goal is to get to 34 weeks.
I want to have a bag packed and be prepared for being in the hospital if I do go early or have to go there again, but I can't think of anything that I would really need.
Could you fellow Mommas give me any advise on what I would need or what your brought?

lizjones

Asked by lizjones at 8:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Pregnancy

• nightgown, underwear, socks, toiletry/grooming items, robe, slippers, lip balm, hand lotion, camera, extra batteries (for camera), a book or 2, a going home outfit for baby, a going home outfit for you
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:49 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• You know what? I have never had a bag ready to go for when I went into labor. I always made sure that I had a good book to read, Lansinoh (lanolin), and a big bag of chocolate for after delivery. The book is to help pass the time until the labor becomes unbearable. The lanolin is for nursing mothers to put on their nipples. The chocolate is to help with having a bowel movement. For some reason, the doctors and nurses prefer new mothers to have a bowel movement before they are released. Go figure!
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 8:51 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• MizLee got the essentials! The hospital will provide diapers, wipes, swaddling blankets, binky and such for baby while you are there. I would suggest you also bring an empty tote bag. You get SO many samples, freebies, pamphlets, plus gifts from visitors... you will be bringing more home than you bring in, not including baby lol
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 8:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Besides the staples listed already I brought my Ipod,chapstick,lotion,my own slippers,own pillow.G/L :)
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 9:03 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Thank Ladies :]
    lizjones

Comment by lizjones (original poster) at 9:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Socks, comfy clothes, toothbrush, hairbrush, outfit for baby :) AND your own pillow, to me that was one of the most important. It made me more comfortable. It is a good idea like others have said to have a magazine or book or something.
    VBM7287

Answer by VBM7287 at 9:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• toothbrush(I forgot mine),you own shampoo(also forgotten),snacks possibly for afterwards.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 12:05 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I took PJs, cameras (disposable, as well as my camcorder thingy), lots of underwear, socks, slippers, tooth brush and paste, shampoo, conditioner, detangler (really needed that after labor, too!), brush, baby clothes, I took two cans of Planter's Digestive Health trail mix stuff (really came in handy, too),
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:02 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Grrrr stupid touch pad! Sorry, new laptop has a touch pad in a different place from my last one, and I bumped it lol. Anyway, I basically just took the stuff that I used every single day, plus extra underwear (those hospital ones are POS), pads of my own, and baby clothes and a blanket.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:04 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• With my first two i didn't take anything but my pillow, some comfy clothes for after, and something cute for the baby to wear home. They provide diapers, blankets, socks, hat, and even a good passy, This time i will probably grab my toiletries when i am headed out the door. I would have felt better with a little makeup on the couple days after delivery. and you can;t exactly pack up the shampoo and makeup you use everyday until it's time to go..........(my husband comes home to shower and stuff and i send a list of things i am needing/wanting with him) the last thing i want is unnecessary things to unpack when we get home
    Ethans_Ma

Answer by Ethans_Ma at 9:59 AM on Apr. 24, 2011