how do you budget 700 every 2 weeks??

this is after bills .........before groceries and gas and fun,,

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in Money & Work

• Thats more than we have before bills ;) and before groceries and before fun... lol

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:01 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• then how do you do it???
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• $100 for gas (depending on how many cars- this would account for 2); $100 for groceries, $100 for fun and the rest in the savings account.
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 8:19 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• yep i agree with candy girl... and even that might be a bit much depending on your family.. right now is all about saving =) which i need to do more of for sure!!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 8:21 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Well you need to know we live in germany. groceries over here are cheaper than in the US.

but its still not enough money. we pay the bills, groceries and everything our daughter needs. But there is nothing left to save and not really anything left to do fun things all the time.

But, all the toys and cloth our daughter doesnt need anymore (clothes to small, toys that she doesnt play with anymore ect.) we sell on ebay. There is a lot of stuff every month to sell. and for the money we make we can buy her new stuff :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:22 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I agree that you should save as much as humanly possible. Even if you spend $450 on gas, groceries, and fun, that would still leave you available to put up $500/month. That really adds up...for the best tax benefits, I would suggest putting it in an Educational IRA for your kids or into your retirement account. Check with your/your husband's employer and see if they allow you to make any contributions before taxes are taken out of your check. My employer takes whatever I request to put into my 401k out before taxes are calculated and that really helps! Best of luck!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:52 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I use Excel and make up a spreadsheet. First I figure out what our monthy bills are and what day they are all due. Then I get out a calendar and put in my husband's pay days. Once all the important stuff is taken care of, I then look to see what is left. It's hard to know what kind of 'spending' money you need for groceries, gas, etc. So I make a guesstimate, take that much out in cash each week and that's what we get. If you only have so much cash in your hand, you can't spend more and you will make it work. Sometimes it means hubby only gets half a tank of gas and makes it work because he really wants that doodad at Brookstone. It's a process, but you will eventually work it out.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 8:53 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Gas - Ask hubby how many times he fills up a week/month and how much it costs, then figureit out for you as well. This should give you a general guess.
    Groceries - How much do you spend weekly and remember to count in those little extra trips. You can usually cut your grocery bill in half by using advance planning and coupons and by cutting out impulse buying. (Meaning don't bring older kids, and eat a snack before you go) Try www.Couponmom.com, not well set up, but it has a GREAT coupon system. Just save and date al the coupon circulars in your paper then check the sale listings on the website, they do all the work for you.
    Spending - You can only spend what you have, so I always recommend taking spending out in cash. Give hubby some, you some, and portion out whatever else you need for the week. (Lunches, birthday gift for kid's friend, X-mas presents this week, etc.)
    AndrisMom

• We bring in $600 every two weeks TOTAL! We do get food stamps for food but not enough to feed all 5 of us (3 adults, 2 babies). SO... My answer is very carefully... If we had that kind of money I'd throw a party! lol!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• If thats after bills, then youve got room to work. Figure out how much gas you use each week and then figure out how much you spend at the grocery store each week. I have 6 peeps in my family and we spend about $125. I have got it down to a science. You should be saving a lot of this money. Theres no reason that you should have some on hand to do fun things, but be moderate in this. Also if you have any debt, you could be paying it off with some of this money. Debt reduction and savings are the two most important things right now. If we as americans do not get that concept...we are in trouble. Be careful with it and have fun.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:31 AM on Dec. 3, 2008