Credit report

I wrote to all negative credit listing on my credit report to hopefully have these items removed. Any that went to collections, I wrote to the collection agency and also the original creditor. What are my chances on actually hearing back and having these items removed??? I would like to buy a house in the future and am trying everything possible to have these items removed...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Money & Work

• I'm not positive but I think some of that stuff comes off of the credit report after a certain amount of time. Best of luck to you!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 9:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• In Canada, after seven years, everything drops off your report.
    It also depends if you've paid the items off or if they're incorrect on your report.
    mrsvixen

Answer by mrsvixen at 9:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• not likely to do anything but give them your current info to come after you.. If you dispute an item with the reporting agency and the company can not "prove"it is yours; the reporting agency will remove the negative /incorrect info.. It is easier to do it this way especially once it has went through several collection agencies because the original paperwork is missing most of the time..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:07 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Typical US law states the debt should be removed 7yrs after it was reported delinquent, not 7yrs after the debt was acquired. (Many states remove debt at 4yrs.) Even if a debt is sold to another collection agency, the delinquent dates doesn't "reset". If you are delinquent, then make pmts, then become delinquent again, the new delinquent date (if reported) resets your 7yr debt removal countdown date. Most debt collectors rely on your lack of knowledge of the laws & use it to their advantage.

I've had debt that I never paid or that I've questioned/challenged. I didn't even go as far as you did, I wrote only to the credit reporting agency, not the credit holder (except for 1 or 2 items). Once 7yrs hit, I wrote the credit reporting agencies & told them I challenged the info they had & reminded them that the debt was at least 7yrs old. (My credit score now allowed me to get a vehicle & a house despite my past history.)
    domesticrecluse

Answer by domesticrecluse at 4:00 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Most come off after 7 seven years. You can write and complain all you want but it will stay there for the amount of time it is suppose to be. You can try to be pre approved for a loan, some banks aren't as strict anymore.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 8:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• You are trying to get out of debts that you legally owe, by hoping that some of them won't provide proof to the credit company that you are. It is a sneaky underhanded way to get out of your responsibilities. And possibly dangerous for you. If some of those debts were sleeping, IE not bothering you, this may wake them up and they may begin the collection process again.

Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 25, 2011

• Keep on them to have the negative stuff removed - it is well worth the time and effort.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:06 PM on Apr. 25, 2011