Does it irritate you when people TRY not to cover up while breastfeeding?

For example, I've seen more than one mom on here with a profile pic of her breast feeding, with no shirt and no bra on. I think that women should have every right to breast feed in public, but isn't it kind of ridiculous when they're making an effort NOT to cover up? What are they trying to prove? Do they really need to post a picture of themselves naked from the waist up? Does anyone else find this tacky?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:47 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I think it is extreme and they are so preoccupied and self-centered , rebellious,that they have lost all sense of what is appropriate.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 9:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Doesn't bother me. I've seen many pics of women with their a$$ and boobs out trying to be "sexy"....IMO that is more tacky.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 9:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Several years ago I had some co-workers and their families over for dinner. One of the families had a young baby. Several of the other families had young children up to a few preteen boys. Anyway....the breastfeeding mom decided to completely remove her shirt and undo her bra and feed the baby on my couch with all the kids and families in the room. I asked her to step into my bedroom to feed where she could still participate in the conversation but have some privacy. She refused. And yelled at the mom of one of the preteen boys calling him a pervert.

She was over the top. I have no problem with breastfeeding in public. but be discreet and be aware of your surroundings.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 10:22 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• While it doesn't bother me to see it, I can't help but think that they do it with a "because I can" attitude. I just shake my head because I used to work with MH people who had sex issues, but weren't yet offenders. These people LOVE women like that. I have tried to warn many women that they are making their children (and themselves, but usually more the children) the object of these people sexual fantasies, but they say I'm sick and twisted when I am just trying to share the knowledge I had gained from working this job. We actually had a discussion at work about it one time. One woman had just had her second child and she had said that when her oldest was born she would breast feed uncovered in public because she felt that BFing was natural and she didn't care if people were offended because they were the one with issues, but she was considering not even BFing in public with the knowledge she now had.
    Anonymous

• Doesn't bother me, I rather see a nursing baby than a screaming one.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:05 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• YES! Breastfeeding your baby is a beautiful thing but I think some modesty should be exercised.
    Anonymous

• It doesn't bother me if a mother chooses not to, for example, use a blanket to cover up when breastfeed, especially when it is hot out. But posting a picture of yourself topless nursing a baby is odd.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Breastfeeding is beautiful! I think most women do NOT bare themselves in public. If we saw it more it would not be such a big deal. Feeding your child should be common place.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Nursed for 18 months and 12 months and would have never just hang out. Not appropriate for people standing around. I wouldn't want to make someone feel uncomfortable. Plus, to me it was such a private moment with my babies. I loved to be able to look down at them and have their eyes gaze up at me. I wasn't going to share that moment with others. I always went to private places.
    f1tmama

Answer by f1tmama at 10:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Doesn't bother me at all, but then again I see no reason why women shouldn't be allowed to walk around topless the same way men do.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:27 AM on Apr. 24, 2011