Explain the science behind the cabbage leaves helping relieve engorgement??

(just saw this in another question and I was wondering the same thing!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I didn't care what the science is--it worked when I needed it and that's all I needed to know.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I don't quite understand it myself, but I know it works, and as far as I know, it's not dangerous, so I'll continue to recommend it to moms who need it :) I, too, would like to know exactly how/why it works though, so if you find something concrete, let me know :)
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:40 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I think it is more the shape and the fact it is cool. I'm not sure the fact it is cabbage has anything to do with it...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:17 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• http://www.lactationconsultant.info/cabbagecure.html
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 10:18 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• So the science is that it's acts as cryotherapy to reduce the pain.... then cold packs would be just as good.
    Something about making a salad in your bra just didn't sound right to me!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• well according to beckie's reference it's not... I just always figures that was what it was for.. learn something new every day.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:23 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Interesting... "It is theorized, that this natural mixture of ingredients from Mother Nature's Kitchen, helps decrease tissue congestion by dilating (opening) local capillaries (small blood vessels), which improves the blood flow in and out of the area, allowing the body to reabsorb the fluid trapped in the breasts...." (that is a direct contradiction to cryotherapy... so cold is not the benefit here)

Even with that link I'm still not buying it. But thanks

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• it works, is what matters, its and old age remedy. and works much better then alot of the new things recommended. i mean what do you want scientific proof?
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 10:54 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Cabbage pach kids?
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:06 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• i mean what do you want scientific proof?
    ____________________
    Exactly... medically, chemically, scientifically... how or why does it work?

How long does it take. Because if it takes a few days then it's jsut a placebo - because it only took a few days for me, and I didn't us them, nor was I that uncomfortable. I self expressed a little bit, to take the pressure off.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Apr. 23, 2011