Bedtime

My daughter is eight and has NEVER been good at going to sleep. She is always up for hours after bedtime. She seems to think I don't hear the pitter patter of little feet. Or she has to come down to tell me she has a headache, toeache, belly itch, shes to hot or to cold, or any other excuse....Tonights was I forgot to give you the Easter card I made for you. (45 minutes after she had been sent to bed). This drives me batty. In the mornings when I have to wake her up she is hard to get up, slow to get ready, and whiny. I had talked to the doctor before because she is always up at least two hours past her bedtime no matter what time I put her to bed. He seems to think she will outgrow it.

Does anyone have any ideas? There have been nights she has been still awake past midnight on a school night. She sings to herself, talks, hides under her blanket with a flashlight to read, and all kinds of other stuff.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 10:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you ever heard of Calms forte?
    Its an herbal melt away pill about the size of the tip of your pinky.
    You start giving them an hour before bedtime and they relax you.
    I had to do this with my son for a long time and now he realizes it is time to get sleepy :)
    All natural and safe! :)
    Serendipitydoo

Answer by Serendipitydoo at 10:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Does she happen to take a nap after school? If so stop those. I had to stop my kids from napping after school cause they wouldn't sleep. I also changed their bed times from 8 to 7. After awhile I was able to move bed time back to 8 but still no naps allowed. Good luck to ya.
    firepony

Answer by firepony at 10:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• She does not take naps. We cut those out a long time ago.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• earlier bed time... and give her something to do... read or something. We had this problem with out DD at about 5-6... I made her stay in bed with her Leapster, that really helped I also told her if she didn't stay in bed there would ba a punishment in the morning. I never had to play that card... the treat worked for her ;o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:37 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• We used to let her read in bed. But she would stay up for hours reading. There is no television in her room because we put it in there and I woke up at 1 am to the sound of her television. Had to move it to the playroom.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 10:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• serendipity--I think I might have to try that for my 4 year old. I swear God installed energizer batteries in him.
    ItsJustMe1017

Answer by ItsJustMe1017 at 10:43 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Is she getting enough exercise during the day?  Also are you cutting out sweets after 5pm?  What time does she go to bed?  My daughter is in bed at 8 and can watch tv/read until 8:30-9pm.  This gives her an hour of down time.  Most of the time she is by 8:30 anyways. 

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I swear they need to make children's ambien ...
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 10:52 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I have a 4 year old like that. I tell him I want to time him and see how fast he can run before dinner. He runs back and forth about 10 times and I set a stop watch. He gets worn out. Eats dinner then a shower and he is ready for lala land.
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• She gets plenty of exercise. We live in an awesome neighborhood where the kids terrorize the neighborhood on their bikes. She is out there from the time she gets out of school till I get home and pick her up from the neighbor riding with all her friends. Then after homework she is right back out there till dinner. She is almost never inside watching tv, playing video games, or any of the other stuff. After dinner it is shower and get ready for bed. Then she is allowed to read or watch cartoons till 8. After that we do the goodnight routine and it is lights out. We tried letting her read in bed till 830 but it did not work. Once she falls asleep she is out like a light and sleeps like a rock.
    Shaken1976

Comment by Shaken1976 (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2011