What do I need to know?

I am ging to breastfeed my next child and I know nothing. Help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Do your research. Join the breasfeeding group on here, they helped me out a lot.
    babygirl0782

Answer by babygirl0782 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• It is not natural LOL.. I took me a long time before it became that way. It was hard at first getting him to latch, stay latched and not fall asleep. The first month it felt like all I did was have him at the boob. The first two weeks were the hardest. He would latch and stay that way for a long time on both breasts then want right back on 20 minutes later; which made me think I was not producing enough but I kept at it and he had 8 or more wet diapers a day and gaining weight so I knew he was.. I stuck it out and as the weeks passed his feedings stretched to an hour then hour and and half and so on.. Read all you can,take classes, I loved laying on my side to feed him.. Get support from friends that have already done it and know how to help you.. Call your local LLL group for questions... It was soo easy once we figured it out :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:45 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Trust that you can do it! LIke the previous poster said, you will be a milk machine for the first few weeks. I never have had any milk supply problems (I've nursed three and the third is still a happily nursing 11 month old) and when they cried and weren't wet, I pretty much put them on the boob. Might have been overkill, but it worked for us. Work on getting a good latch right away. It can be so difficult to keep baby awake. You may have to use a cool wet rag to perk him/her up. Don't hesitate to ask for help at the hospital, or just have the nurses look at what you're doing to see if it looks right. After you leave, call a lactation consultant of La Leche League with any questions.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 10:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Oh, feed on demand don't go by a clock and let the baby decide when they are done.. When you want unlatch to switch sides etc, dont just pull the baby off OUCH !!! Just take your finger and brake the suction that way from the corner of the babies mouth and cup it over your nipple.. No pain that way..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:01 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Don't pump for the first month. It is unnecessary and will screw up your supply. Also, do not supplement with formula- don't even have an "emergency" can of formula in your house.
    It is going to hurt for the first few weeks. A lot. Someone is sucking on the same 2 places of your body for hours a day. It takes awhile to get used to it. After about 6-8 weeks it becomes amazingly easy.
    Set small goals for yourself at first. Some nights you might feel like giving up. Make a goal of breastfeeding until morning. When you wake up rested you will feel better. It is easy to get overwhelmed in the middle of the night with sore nipples and a crying baby:).
    First make it to one week of breastfeeding. Then one month. Then one year... as long as you are comfortable with (knowing it gets a LOT easier after the first few weeks).
    Call la leche league, etc. as often as needed for support. Join a group on here. Congratulations!!
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 11:09 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I agree with the others...don't wimp out in the first couple months because it gets SO much easier after that.

Remember that breastfeeding is a supply and demand system...your body WILL make as much as your baby demands it to make. Your baby adjusts your supply by nursing more or less when he/she NEEDS more or less. For example, when the baby is going through a growth spurt, you will be nursing constantly until that supply is where the baby needs it to be. This is also why they say not to supplement with formula when you feel like the baby isn't being satisfied since they are always at your breast during that time. If you supplement, you will not be requiring your body to make enough milk to satisfy your baby...your body will think it has done its job since the baby isn't there nursing from the formula.

With my first, I didn't realize that it would take me a couple days to get my regular milk in, and I even used ...cont
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• formula until my milk came in because I didn't think those few drops of colostrum would be enough to satisfy my baby. The second time around I knew more and changed that! The colostrum is very high in calories and is satisfying to the baby, so he/she wont be starving...also, it coats the digestive tract, and you don't have another opportunity to do that.

Nature is smart. The design is almost flawless. It is very rare that someone actually "can't" nurse...what did people do before there were options like bottles? And think of all the other mammals that nurse their young...we are essentially designed to function the same way. Trust that you can do it and don't give up easily when there is some difficulty, because chances are it is normal.

CM is actually a very good resource because there are a lot of moms here that have successfully nursed and are willing to talk with you about it.

Good luck mama!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:31 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Tell yourself you can do it!! Even if its hard at first, ask for help from the nurses, if they don't help call for a lactation consultant, and if that's not available call your local WIC office (even if you don't qualify for the food checks!) They have great breastfeeding classes!! Read as much as you can, talk to as many breastfeeding mom as you can!!

Learn and be patient!!! You can do it, and its the best thing in the world!!! GL :D
    willngingersmom

Answer by willngingersmom at 11:50 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• An important thing to know is that how much you pump is NOT equal to how much you are producing, baby gets more then a pump will. The way to tell if baby is getting enough is to count diapers. At 1 day old, you want at least 1 diaper change, 2 days, at least 2 changes, and so on until a week. After a week, you want to be changing 6-8 diapers in a 24 hr period. If you're changing those, baby IS getting enough.

In the beginning, you will have only colostrum, and that IS enough for baby. A newborn's stomach is tiny. Colostrum is measured in teaspoons, and baby will nurse very frequently in the early days and weeks.

Seek out your local La Leche League, now, before you deliver, and start attending their meetings. They're a great source of support and information, and it's good to get familiar with them NOW, so that if you have any trouble at birth, you can call a leader.

You CAN do this.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Nurse on demand. Nurse as soon as possible after delivery. Know that it's normal and OK for baby to lose up to about 10% of their birth weight at first, sometimes even a little more if you've had a c section, or more IV fluids then usual. If your baby is jaundiced, many doctors and nurses will tell you that formula is necessary to resolve this, and 99.9% of the time, this is not true. Nurse, nurse, nurse. On demand. As often as baby wants, and yes, even if you just nursed 5 min ago. Frequent nursing, and suckling at the breast, is what will build your supply, so understand that you WILL be nursing almost constantly in the early days/weeks. And please, if you have any specific questions or concerns, ask!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:50 AM on Apr. 24, 2011