Is it a good idea to get a cat declawed

jujusmommy123

Asked by jujusmommy123 at 11:08 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Pets

• if its an indoor cat and you have nice furniture and babies, yes. otherwise no. its there only defense mechanism if some how they get out of the house
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 11:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Personally, I think it is cruel. I have 3 cats and just got new furniture. I might change my mind at any moment.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:10 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• it's cruel and unfair to an outdoor cat. an indoor cat however doesn't NEED claws.. Either way it;s cruel, just teach the cat not to claw, all 3 of mine have their claws and are sweeties who don't scratch anywhere but their toys
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• no because they can't defend themselves if they had to or they can't climb a tree to get away from a bigger cat or a dog. it is very cruel. cats scratch....they are cats. one of the reasons they scratch is because it is a form of stress relief for them.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:11 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• my mom has a declawed cat. she's fine, shes also strictly indoors.
    ArmyWifeAshlie

Answer by ArmyWifeAshlie at 11:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• It's cruel and inhumane. Essentially it's cutting their toes off at the first knuckle joint. It can cause behavioral issues as well as balance problems. I used www.softpaws.com for my cat when we first got him until he learned what he could and couldn't scratch. Make sure you have a scratch post available, and a spray bottle to teach the cat to not do that. He hated the vinyl claw covers but adjusted within a couple of days.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:12 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• If the cat is going to be outdoors at all (other than an occasional escape) I wouldn't do it. It is their defense. However, I have had both my indoor cats done, and I felt bad, but they were tearing up the sides of my couches and wooden furniture too despite having scratching posts. That is a lot of damage.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:15 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• yes it is cruel!!! they remove the entire front of the toe, bone and all. your cat will be in agony for weeks, they're be in unbearable pain trying to walk. i know for a fact that the humane society will not let you adopt a cat if you think declawing is ok, they ask you before they show you the cats. declawing is a disgusting and inhumane practice. if you can't deal with a few claw marks then don't have a cat. don't mutilate and torture a poor animal out of vanity
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 11:19 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• We had a cat who was declawed (we got him that way at the pound) when i was young. One night he escaped the house and we didn't realize it. It had been a crazy day. Our car had been stolen, police came for reports, my brother busted his eyebrow open, and whatever else had happened. Anyway we didn't realize the cat was out....we all just fell into bed. In the middle of the night I heard a bunch of dogs barking and a cat crying. I woke up my dad and he went and chased off the dogs. Our cat wasn't able to escape this pack of dogs. We were very sad and upset and never again got a declawed cat.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Personally, I wouldn't get my cats declawed. It's their defense and it's part of owning cats. But that's just my own personal opinion. If you want to declaw your cats, only do it if they are strictly indoor kitties.
    alf2651

Answer by alf2651 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 23, 2011