Should we teach abstinence or safe sex?

WE as in parents and schools

brypmom

Asked by brypmom at 11:27 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I agree with many that say both. I clearly am teaching my children that sex is between a man and his wife and no others, and that they are to save themselves for marriage, but since I am a single mother, I know that sometimes what you teach a child and what he does is different. I would much rather teach my child how to protect himself from stds and pregnancy than for them to learn it elsewhere.
    I am not giving my child license to have sex but rather telling them that I feel that it is wrong for them and also not God's best for their life and teach them the importance of abstinence above all.
    MKSmom09

Answer by MKSmom09 at 12:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Both. Kids should know ALL options.
    GomezMami2908

Answer by GomezMami2908 at 11:29 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• both should be equally taught. abstinence would be great but if the kid has sex, they should know how to be safe .
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• agree with gomezmami, both. kids will do what they want, they need to know abstinence is the best way, but if they have sex they need to know how to be safe
    KiraStadnik

Answer by KiraStadnik at 11:30 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Both. Abstinence is best but when you forbid a teen to do something 90% of the time it just makes it that much more appealing to them. Then there is the issue that even if they wait for marriage they still need to know how to be safe to not have babies until they're ready.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 11:39 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• TEACH - Safe Sex
    ENCOURAGE - Abstinence
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• both... of course we don't want our kids having sex but sometimes it will happen. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 11:32 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• both. I don't think Abstinence only works too well most of the time. They need to know safe sex as well
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 11:33 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• Both. Teaching abstinence only doesn't work. Some kids are going to have sex, regardless of whether or not abstinence has been drilled into them from birth. When they make that decision, they need to know how to be safe.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:36 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I attended a lutheran middle school, and a catholic high school, and although they taught abstinence, they also taught about birth control too. So i think both...they were realistic and very forthcoming about everything, and it was a good way in my book.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 11:42 PM on Apr. 23, 2011