My son is Mr. Mom

My 25 yr old son cannot find a job. His wife is a waitress and works 12 hr days 6 days a week. Her father is making nasty remarks about my son saying he should be the one working. My son is a wonderfully devoted father and husband. Her dad is making him feel bad. (She is fine with this). Do you think its ok to be a Mr. Mom?

DDWay

Asked by DDWay at 11:53 PM on Apr. 23, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yes, my ex stayed home with his daughter while his girlfriend worked - at the time she was making more money and they didn't have anyone to watch their baby and they didn't like any of the daycare centers in their area. When my husband and I first got together he worked for a company that sent him all over the world, he missed out a lot with our daughters when they were babies so he quit when our twin boys were born and for six months I worked while he stayed home with the kids but honestly he is the type of person that needs to work and so he went to work at his family's company and basically makes his own hours so he's still very much Mr. Mom though we both spend about equal time at home and work.
    anon1986East

Answer by anon1986East at 12:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I'm old-fashioned enough I believe the man should be the one working. That said, I was raised with a SAHD who was unable to work due to a medical condition, and the experience was great for the most part as far as that's concerned. As long as they're both content with their lifestyle it's no one else's business what their family dynamics are.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:55 PM on Apr. 23, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it. His father probably is old fashioned and believes that women should stay at home and the men work. But that doesn't always work out for everyone. You just do what you have to do in order to survive. If she's okay with this, that's what matters.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:35 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I don't see the issue. People need to stop being so noisy.

sweetangie79

Answer by sweetangie79 at 2:48 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Oh, I think this is awful! As a stay at home parent, I dont think it matters who's at home!! As long as your children are taken care of and know that you love them, that is all that matters! I would hope that she would let her father know that he needs to mind his own business and this is only between her and her husband! It shouldnt matter as long as it works for them....
    momto4lilangels

Answer by momto4lilangels at 10:05 AM on Apr. 24, 2011