Lunch for sell?

Since my son is now on spring break I was going through his backpack to empty it re-stock paper pencils things like that and I found a wad  of 1 dollar bills and loose change so I asked "where in the hell did this come from" and without lifting his head from his magazine he replied" oh I sell my lunches at school and the skate park" I was shocked because he said it so calmley like everyone is doing it. I then asked him if it was nasty he said no, I usually share it with my friends but if I can make a profit then why not. I was shocked. I talked to my SO about it and he said whats the harm? So moms whats the harm? HELP im kinda confused

timbrikaylamom

Asked by timbrikaylamom at 12:35 AM on Apr. 24, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Smart kid, I would be pleased he is trying to make a buck.

Answer by older at 9:25 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• You've got a little entreprenuer on your hands lol....I probably wouldnt like it because he's wasting our food but besides that I don't really see a problem with it
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I'd ask him if he's eating enough if he's doing this, but other than that....can't blame him for doing it if it's working for him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• As long as hes eating enough, i see NO harm. honestly. let him ;) as long as he swears to eat enough for himself!
    shortycmlb

Answer by shortycmlb at 12:43 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• In our home it would not have been looked as that way. I'd ask for the money since he sold MY food. If he didn't want the food I gave him then he could have brought MY food back home. My sons knew that hey weren't rich, WE were well off, not them. Our money wasn't their money though we provided nicely for them. It wasn't their house, it was OUR house & they had a bedroom in it. The things we bought them they were not allowed to sell or trade. The things they bought with their own money they could sell or trade but they rarely did since they worked hard for their own things. It's easy to sell and give away the the things YOU didn't earn. So, I stand by what I said that I would have grounded my child AND taken the money that they rec'd from selling MY food. Of course, my sons started doing lawn care (mowing/raking/snow shoveling) as a group when they were 7, 8, 11 & 12 & had PT jobs at 16 so they had money.
    Anonymous

• rolling on floorI can not wait to see what he ends up doing for a career!

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 3:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• I would be worried he is not getting enough. Anon, she gave him that food so YES it is his. Now if he is taking the whole box of snacks to sell then I see that is wrong but it's not like he is stealing from her, she put it in his lunch box. I would tell him that he needs to eat his food though
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 10:54 AM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Like the others, I'd simply be worried that he's going hungry during the day. I'd probably be shocked and surprised, but not so sure I'd be angry, just worried.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• That's hilarious. Hey, if he's okay with going hungry all day for a buck...
    He'll probably be a millionaire by 30.
    I agree with anon., though. He's selling your food. Ask for a percentage of the profit...ask him about a business model, lol.
    What a kid.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 2:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Lunch for sell
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2011