Dyslexia?

I think it might be possible my daughter has dyslexia. My husband was diagnosed as mildly dyslexic and my 6 year old, a bright child, is having difficulties with reading and penmanship. She also attends a very small, private, religious school. Can I have my daughter tested at our public elementary school? Is it too soon?

proud2Bmomma

Asked by proud2Bmomma at 8:48 AM on Dec. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My husband is also dyslexic. I'm not sure at what age they test for that kind of thing. I might consider giving it another year though since she's only 6. Most kids are just starting out getting the hang of reading and writing. It's a lot to take in. She might just need a little extra support in learning the basics.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:14 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• Most public schools will not test for dyslexia. Contact yours to see if it is an option.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Dec. 3, 2008

• i think you need to see a dr first , i'm not sure, but your school should still be able to screen for it, i also agree with ReneeK3, it might be a bit early for worry
    good luck
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 2:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2008

• I am dyslexic and my oldest son is too. He was tested at 5, both by the school and a doctor. Talk to both places and see what their opinions are then see about having her tested. It could be nothing, but I am glad I had my son tested.
    aunt_shel

Answer by aunt_shel at 2:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2008